Days: Time Jump Previews

• Members

When "Days" switched up their aesthetic for the 50th with the studio scenes (and much more primetime/film-like angles and tracking), I loved it.  I know it's not for everyone, but it provides the depth and space we have always lacked, especially since the '09 budget crisis.  The real problem is that some directors don't take the care to keep the shots consistent with the rest of the show, which can be incredibly distracting.  But I know, for me personally, Haley's death will feel so much "bigger" because of this.  (And I liked the aesthetic they were TRYING for in Peapack, but the actual product was a total fail.  AMC tried steadycams in '06 and quickly abandoned the new model; this rarely gets brought up.)

Anyway re. Judi/Adrienne... this burns me up.  The blow was softened for me when RC said Judi was mostly unavailable to appear, but reading this is crushing.  I love Judi and Adrienne--wonderful performer and I know many find the character boring, but she's a legacy character that really served as the heart (and basis) of the Johnson family the last ten years.  And the "drama" her death is providing will be wrapped up all too soon... aaand while this is a great twist, it's an awful big cloud to put over Maggie (and if Mickey is Brady & Kristen's, she'll likely be responsible for Sarah's baby not making it?!?

Please register in order to view this content

).

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah, this pretty much amounts to character assassination for Maggie.  Even if it turns out that Adrienne is alive after all (which I still believe is possible, given that this is DAYS, after all), it's gonna be hard, if not impossible, to bring her character back from this.  Maggie will either have to die, leave Salem or become the town pariah.

AMC and GL faced the same dilemma: changing up the production model under ineffectual leadership.  Wendy Riche or even JFP would have known better how to transition toward more primetime/film production techniques.

Edited by Khan

• Members

That shot of Haley falling just pleases me so much! The only good thing about Haley was more Melinda - because she's an interesting character and LCK is an underrated actor. I wish DAYS had done more regarding Melinda's choices and backstory, because it was far too brief. 

Judi Evans is still lovely and such a screen presence. But DAYS is kinda filled with plenty of actresses in her age group, so that's a big issue. But, honestly, I'd rather see the "Hattie" smart-mouth role filled by Bonnie, but they already have to pay DH.  We know budget is a big issue - they can't even afford to give DH a different wig to try to distinguish Hattie from Marlena. (It's especially bad when Hattie is wearing the apron, but really Susan's barnyard outfits don't make that much difference.) 

• Members

Well, that and apparently they couldn't use Judi Evans much either way because of her second job. I guess they needed at least one death that's sort of "big" and limited availability plus that Adrienne isn't that exciting of a character meant bye-bye to her. Add that they can always use Judi as Bonnie when they feel like it and for better or worse Bonnie is much more up Ron's strasse as a character, so...

• Members

It's already better than what's been aired the last few months on-screen. The timejump was a wasted opportunity and I'd rather watch all of this play out instead. IMO.

lol truth!

And it's a real shame we finally see Will and Abby working together and it's in "flashbacks". The show in the flashbacks is what I want to be watching! lol