Vetsoapfan's Treasure Trove: Vintage Soap Material

• Members

LOL! So she's a soap addict who eventually faced facts and came out of the closet, just like so many vehemently anti-gay preachers and politicians who later get outed in gay bars.

Please register in order to view this content

Some magazines were racier than others. And RBD became more provocative as time went on.

She did want extensive time off to do other things, and the year before she left Y&R she had been absent for an extended period with "back issues," claiming her doctor had forbidden her to work. As pointed out in the press at the time, however, while she was supposedly unable to work on Y&R, she was photographed socializing all over town. I think William J. Bell finally decided enough was enough and did not renegotiate her contract. Unfortunately, her replacement never captured the essence of Leslie Brooks, and the character lost all her depth and color after Lynde left.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

These Fulton columns are hilarious!!! I can't believe someone called her a pig!!! I love Fulton promoting her line of clothes from "J.C.Penny" and her bitchy responses...she might be closer to Lisa then we thought!! More Kitsch please!!!

• Members

Alas, I am old and decrepit, LOL, and have neither an iphone nor an iPad. I only have my trusty ol' laptop and an inexpensive (read: cheap) scanner I bought eons ago. If I were not on a very tight and fixed income, I would upgrade, but as it is, I have to make do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Go, Don, GO!  I miss Don Stewart...

And yes, those Fulton columns are absolutely hilarious.

THANK YOU for the Harding Lemay article. I really don't know how he was able to write two soaps simultaneously. It seemed from what he described in his book (and hinted in the article), he was likely suffering from major burnout.

• Members

Lemay claimed that he enjoyed working on different projects at the same time, because it kept him "creatively fresh," but to be realistic, no one can write TWO soaps at the same time and still be expected to turn out quality material. It's hard enough writing a single soap and producing 250+ scripts a year.

• Members

When Y&R premiered, Bell was still under contract to write DAYS, but fortunately for all concerned, he was shifted to Story Consultant status on that series, with Pat Falken Smith Smith taking over the reigns as head writer. Y&R and DAYS viewers were treated to excellent writing on both shows.

Many years later, when B&B debuted, Bell really had to handle two shows at once, but to be brutally frank, I never thought B&B was well written. It came across (to me) as a forced, pale imitation of its sister show, filled with mediocre writing and tepid characters. Without question, William J. Bell was a genius, but there's only so much any one individual can be expected to do.

Come to think of it, another master writer who juggled two shows at once was Henry Slesar, who penned The Edge of Night and Somerset at the same time in the early 1970s. I think of all the scribes who did double duty, Slesar actually handled it best.

• Members

Slesar also wrote EON and SFT for 6 months or so.

Irna Phillips wrote ATWT and AW amongst others.

Agnes wrote TGL and AW in 66/67.

But no one took on the challenge of writing 2 1 hr shows.

Did Lemay write all of L&F and then Tom King wrote FRFP? Or did Lemay bail on L&F durings its run?

Edited by Paul Raven