Vetsoapfan's Treasure Trove: Vintage Soap Material

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thank you so much!  Your posts bring back many happy memories!  I too got rid of all my soap magazines from the 1970s and 1980s.

The Edge of Night was my first love!  I wish there were episodes for all the shows as they have for The Doctors and rerun them on TV.

What a shame that the episodes were "wiped".  I wish private collectors would make them available some how.

Thanks again!

• Members

Thank you for all these great posts!

I hope you manage to come across articles during intense times of transitions. Like Marland arriving on GL and ATWT, Monty on GH, etc.  I would love to read some critical reactions to what was changing on screen in real time for them, just how noticeable it was at the time as opposed to hindsight.

• Members

The first batch of vintage magazines I found consisted mainly of the mega History of the Soaps-type publications, which featured extensive storyline synopses and facts about the shows. I, too, enjoy reading critical analyses and interviews from periods when the soaps were undergoing massive structural changes, so if and when I find such material, I will make sure to share it. What are your favorite serials? So far, I've been attempting to post material on many different ones, but if 30 SON members suddenly beg me for more stuff on, say, Y&R, I'll at least try to oblige.  

• Members

Like a lot of people here, I’m a fan of the genre most of all.  My show was always GH, although I have sampled them all and even watched some for years.  But GH is the one I keep tabs on, even if I can’t stand it.

I absolutely love The Edge of Night though.

Just seeing the photos of the stuff you post has been fun!

• Members

I was bored to tears by GH in the mid-1970s and then frustrated by it in the 1980s after Pat Falken Smith left, thanks to the awful writing, but when it was good, the show was great.

TEON was unequaled in offering up delicious, complex, and often terrifying tales of suspense. Henry Slesar was a genius. I knew once he was replaced that the show was doomed. But like GH, when TEON was good, it was wonderful!