Vetsoapfan's Treasure Trove: Vintage Soap Material

• Members

Can't wait to dig into that luncheon article!

Meanwhile, these words from Teri Keane touched me deeply:

“Soap opera is drama that’s as close to real life as you can get. It goes on and on like life does. It’s about people – and what really makes people tick. Why they do ‘bad things.’ How they survive. Plot is important, but only in relation to how much you care about the people involved.”

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

From Daily TV Serials, June 1975:

Please register in order to view this content

Thank you so much for posting this great article for everyone to enjoy.

I hope other SONers will also feel welcome to post vintage material from years gone by. (I would only ask that posters stick to sharing classic articles and stories from the 1950s through the 1970s or 1980s. I do not consider an opinion piece by Carolyn Hinsey from the latest Soap Opera Digest to be "classic," LOL.)

Her words are so true. Ironically, writer Henry Slesar made similar comments in an interview from a few years earlier, so I know he also understood the important of viewer identification with the characters. We found out after Keane had been fired that P&G was intent of "youthifying" the show, which is why actresses like Keane were deemed expendable. 

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Genie Francis and Kin Shriner from GENERAL HOSPITAL

(Look how adorable Scotty was! What twit would abandon HIM for Luke???)

The DAYS OF OUR LIVES cast:

Erika Slezak and Lee Patterson from ONE LIFE TO LIVE:

Maeve McGuire and Donald May from THE EDGE OF NIGHT:

Eileen Fulton and Don Hastings from AS THE WORLD TURNS:

Lydia Bruce and James Pritchett from THE DOCTORS:

Emily McLaughlin and John Beradino from GENERAL HOSPITAL:

The ALL MY CHILDREN cast:

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

What set is the AMC cast on?

I can identify Judith Barcroft (Anne), Bill Mooney (Paul), Mary Fickett (Ruth), EIleen Letchworth (Margo), Larry Keith (Nick), Pat Dixon (Caroline), Richard Van Vleet (Chuck), Nick Benedict (Phil), and Paul Gleason (David) in the first photo and Francesca James (Kitty), Susan Lucci (Erica), Ray MacDonnell (Joe), Kay Campbell (Kate), Fra Heflin (Mona), John Danelle (Frank), Ruth Warrick (Phoebe), and Peter White (Linc) in the second. Can anyone help fill in the blanks? Both women look familiar but I'm drawing a blank on them. I'm not sure I've seen the guy before at all.

• Members

In the first photo, the only one whom you could not identify was Stephanie Braxton, who was a recast Tara Martin.

In the second photo, you ones you did not know are Dan Hamilton who played Hal Shea/Short (top right), and Paulette Breen (the blonde actress beside Kay Campbell) who played Claudette Flax.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Daytime TV's Library Series: ANOTHER WORLD (1976)

Our Miss Penberthy was not a happy camper that day.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

From Daytime TV, March 1974:

(The Young and the Restless' original cast was extraordinary: hot, charismatic, sexy and talented. Just sayin'.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMC had a remarkable 18-year-long string of quality storytelling, from 1970 to early 1989, with Agnes Nixon, Wisner Washam and Lorraine Broderick as the headwriters. Then we inexplicably got stuck with Margaret DePriest, who has never written a soap opera well, but who kept getting shuffled from soap to soap for decades. UGH. The later hiring of Megan McTavish did not help matters, although to be fair, until we saw Charles Pratt stink up Pine Valley, AMC viewers did not know how bad things could get, LOL.

Agreed. He was a totally different actor than Christopher Reeve, who had played Ben so well before him, but Harben truly made the role his own.

Edited by vetsoapfan