Vetsoapfan's Treasure Trove: Vintage Soap Material

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Patricia Everly was lovely but did not have Peters' (or Strangis') innate "cuteness," so I was not surprised when she came and went in the blink of an eye. I wish TBTB had axed Wings Hauser that fast. Strangis probably would have made a better Peggy than Everly did.

• Members

I could read these old articles all day! Thanks! As AW is my all-time fave, I loved the one about George Reinhold being let go. I guess I never realized he was on the show for 7 years. For some reason, I thought it was shorter than that. Seems like such a bold thing back then to fire one of your leading stars because of their attitude! I wonder if that kind of thing would still happen today if the actor had a huge following. Shows can't afford to lose any viewer any more. 

• Members

Original Cast Members of The Young and the Restless, 1973:

Brenda Dickson (Jill Foster), Janice Lynde (Leslie Brooks), Trish Stewart (Chris Brooks), and Lee Crawford (Sally McGuire)

It's hard to believe that TPTB told Trish Stewart she was overweight and needed to slim down. Pffft!

Please register in order to view this content

Here are summaries of the show's first four years' worth of storylines, as published in Daily TV Serials' Anniversary Issues (in June/July of 1974, '75, '76, '77).

• Members

Another World's 10th Anniversary: Alice remarries Steven (May 3, 1974)

From Daily TV Serials, 1974:

Jacqueline Courtney Leaves (Gets Pushed Out) of Another World, 1975

Oops, the last line of the paragraph got cut off: "One thing we know for sure, the role of Alice will be recast. Susan Harney has been hired to play the part."

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

From Afternoon TV Stars (year unknown):

UGH! I loathe when the system automatically merges multiple posts together, whether I want them to be combined or not!  Sometimes, the merging is illogical and egregious. Is there any way to manually separate the posts once they've been combined?

I adored AW as well. It's definitely in my top three favorite soaps of all time, which is quite a feat considering I have watched countless serials over the last several decades.

Reinholt certainly developed a reputation for being difficult to work with, although the more we have learned about Paul Rauch (and even Harding Lemay) since the 1970s, I'm sure those men gave as good as they got. There are too many horror stories floating around about Paul Rauch to believe that he was an innocent bystander in any conflict.

Since you mentioned enjoying the article about Reinholt leaving AW, I have uploaded a few about Jacquie Courtney's departure from the series. 

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Yes, thank you! It seems the actors took the shows so seriously back then, almost as if they were doing theater instead of television drama. I suppose I can understand that since many of the actors early on came directly from theater, but seems so strange to me now.  Could you imagine what Jacquie or George would think of Ron Carlivati's camp on DAYS right now?!! haha

• Members

From Daytime TV Library Series # 7: SEARCH FOR TOMORROW (1977)

From Daytime TV Library Series # 2: ALL MY CHILDREN (1976)

From Daytime TV Library Series # 8: DAYS OF OUR LIVES (1977)

Edited by vetsoapfan