Vetsoapfan's Treasure Trove: Vintage Soap Material

• Members

I remember how I felt when many actors I enjoyed got fired from ATWT - I can imagine GH fans of those years felt just as upset (judging by the ratings drop, very upset). Did you miss any of them? Looks like Hiatt went on to be a translator at the UN (unless that her was her job pre-GH). 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I thought eliminating the characters of Jane Dawson, Henry Pinkham and Augusta McLeod left the most noticeable holes in the canvas. Like Carol Hughes on ATWT, Jane was a likeable girl next door, an "every woman" whom the audience could root for and identify with. Henry Pinkham was a bit goofy but sweet. Augusta was a complex and colorful character, unfortunately written in to a corner, story-wise. I would have kept these people on the show because they were well-received and interesting players with more stories to tell. The other three characters were more disposable, IMHO.

Although it was unsettling to see such a sudden and large cast purge, at least the new GH writers did not decide to axe any of the most important principle characters. During the same year, 1975, AW eliminated Jacqueline Courtney, George Reinholt, Virginia Dwyer, and lost Susan Sullivan when she quit. The loss of those major stars was much more painful than losing various supporting players on GH.

• Members

Right. After she became a murderess, she had to be punished, so there was not much the show could do with Augusta for a long time. It's not like today on GH, when the more a character murders other people, the more air time she or he gets.

Please register in order to view this content

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Sorry, I know this isn't a vintage article, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. It's a Lydia Hirsch soap segment from 1995. 

Oof, one of the callers mentioned how old AMC Charlie looked to be Tara's son...

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Oh, that clip sure brings back memories!! I can't believe that it's been over 20 years since The Morning Exchange was cancelled. Lynda Hirsch and her soap segments were always a draw. I've always been proud to say that Lynda Hirsch is a fellow Cleveland girl. Thanks for posting that, Carl.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

@DRW50 Thanks so much for posting. I like the fact that Lynda knows all these soaps so well. She doesn't come across as just reciting synopsis, but can refer to character details and previous plot points. I actually sent her message at one point on her FB page, which has been dormant for a while (so I don't expect a response) asking how she did her recaps each week. Did she actually watch all the shows? Did she have staff who watched? Especially back when she first started in the 70's and probably didn't have much help. I don't think I will get a response but I am very curious about it.

• Members

That cracked me up and Linda's reaction was priceless. 

This brought back so many memories, I was in high school following all of the shows at the time. I had a few promos for The City on our long gone desktop and can still hear Darnell Williams announcing, "Morgan Fairchild is coming to The City, premiering November 13th."

I thought for sure this would be a three minute segment, imagine 20 whole minutes devoted to the soaps.

• 1 year later...