Y&R July 2019 Discussion Thread

• Members

Josh is incapable of writing anything remotely interesting, that’s why.

He’s failed TWICE at this show before, yet he’s back for another failed stint. That’s how incompetent the people managing this show are...

Josh really is Y&R’s version of Dena Higley - hired multiple times despite failing miserably each time.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

And he's desperately trying to recreate 2010-2013

God. YES, he is the male version of Dena Higley (she too had three failed stints .. at DAYS of course ... and isn't he on his third now failing stint only at Y&R ... I mean they brought her back after a FAN PETITION got her fired! LOL).

They were a match made in hell on DAYS. Lord. You could tell when they swapped duties in the writing. (Ironically, I also think Higs wrote DAYS vengefully, especially after a fan petition got her fired the second time she was on the show). Not saying Griffith is writing vengefully, though, but he's desperately trying to recapture 2013 for some reason.

The Adam rehash is exhausting.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I know Mal had his issues, and some of his storylines were boring/dragged like the JT storyline. But I definitely give Mal the edge over Josh when it came to the younger set. Overall, they were written much better underneath him and had more of a purpose. With the exceptions being Tessa and Summer who he went off the rails with, by having her try and seduce and then sleep with Billy. Summer is being written better now underneath Josh, but I think he reset the character back to where she was before Mal wrote her very poorly. Tessa really is the only young person that Josh has written "better" than Mal.

Other than that the rest of them were written much better. Even Lola for a little moment there had some potential. Then pursegate happened and the writing for her went straight to heck. Now Ana and Fen are gone, Kyle is a groveling, constantly berated/shell of himself, who turns himself inside out to constantly please his controlling girlfriend. Lola is a disaster for all of the reasons that we've listed. And Mariah mostly exists to prop/cater to Lola & involve herself in every aspect of Tessa's career. With a couple of scenes with Sharon here and there. Kyle/Mariah don't have identities anymore outside catering/propping Lola/Tessa. And that's a shame because they are way better than the other two. 

• Members

When has Lola ever been interesting?  Just curious because from the little I'd seen, even under Mal she seemed like a total bore. 

The last time Chloe and Chelsea were on together, they were almost totally indistinguishable (cue the theme music from The Patty Duke Show) in the same manner that Abby and Summer seem too similar and never seem to have active, viable storylines when they're on at the same time.

I can certainly believe that Josh is writing Lola and Kyle in a manner that seems passive aggressive. It wouldn't surprise me if he were low-key trying to tank that pairing and then say "Oh well...I tried" with a shrug.

• Members

Once upon a time....lol.  IMO, in the very beginning, she was actually kind of likeable. And had some potential. When she first came on and was standing up for her brothers against Mia, who was trying to cause trouble for both of them she was okay. And when she clashed with Summer a little early on pre-Pursegate. She wasn't bad when she first admitted she was a virgin and had wanted to wait to sleep with Kyle.

But after Pursegate, the writing for  her character went into the toilet and down the drain. And she became incredibly sanctimonious, self absorbed and judgmental.

Edited by xtr

• Members

Lola is just one of many problems. The show as a whole just doesn’t gel and people are tuning out as a result.

We’ll definitely get another recycled pair of hacks when Griffith and Morina are fired, but it will be sweet to see them gone after all their insufferable talk about bringing back an “iconic” sensibility to the show when that couldn’t be further from the truth. 

• Members

To me Lola is one of the bigger problems right now, given she and Kyle are on ALL THE TIME, with long drawn out scenes. As someone who's usually home when Y&R airs, & will watch live, this makes me tune out. I think I'll watch later when I can FF, since I do record the show, but I rarely get around to watching taped episodes. I'll delete 20 at a time.

Their have been numerous couples that were boring, or that I couldn't stand, but I never complained since they were in the mix. Lola's brother Rey is boring too, but he's usually just in a scene with someone else, so I pay him no mind. The only one I enjoyed in that family was Mia.

I have some interest in what's happening to Billy, I like that the Chancellor mansion is being used. I'm interested in Chance returning. Adam & Kevin, & Micheal are entertaining. Summer & Theo were kinda cute. But I just look on SM to find out if there's something I want to watch most of the time.

• Members

Griffith had one good HW stint, and it was when he was with Malone (first time).  I can’t say he has been enjoyable since, even when paired with another writer.

Reminds me of McTavish repeatedly being rehired at AMC, and of course Dena at DAYS.

The only time one of these rehires worked out as far as ratings increases was Guza at GH.  And each time he had maybe one good year and then two bad ones.  Better than Griffith, Higley, and McTavish.  But still a mess.

• Members

Tuned in today to see Victor trying to beat an illness again.  Tuning out.  I have watched for 5 minutes - where is Adam? He's not on nearly enough.  I'm shocked not to have seen his face in 5 minutes.  

Why would we care about Victor and some unknown illness that he's "trying to beat"?  It's a yawning bore.