Y&R June 2019 Discussion Thread

• Members

Well I won't ignore this well-written analysis of everything wrong with Y&R to discuss Adam's eye color.

I don't quite understand what causes them to invest so heavily in Adam. Are we missing something? Do they have intel we're unaware of? They're super, inexplicably invested in him. And oddly for once it's not about the actor, the character despite how utterly inconsistently he's been portrayed, is treated as a priority. 

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don’t think Adam is a problem, and neither is any character he’s dealing with.

Not when I see scene after boring scene with Kyle and Lola, and the utter wasteland that is Teriah. Lesbians are fine. Boring lesbians living in a dump are not.

I’m all for character-driven writing, but I don’t see character development when Kyle builds a bookcase, or when Lola helps Kyle paint an accent wall, or when Tessa tries on clothes to se where she fits in the music world. I mean, WTF.

Thank God fo4 the Adam stuff.

• Members

It's the same principle as everything else on soaps in the last 20 years - when they have a popular character who ignites fan wars or focus groups, they run them into the ground because ratings, demos, eyes etc. are an increasingly shrinking and precious commodity. Doesn't matter if it's Adam, the Todds on OLTL, Sonny and Jason on GH, Jonathan on GL, etc. Victoria and Billy Part 28, Victor and Nikki Part 312. They go with what is considered, from the BTS POV, sure money, no matter how long ago that was. And Adam as a character is not poisoned ground, but it's the prioritizing above all else that is the disease.

I agree the Rosaleses, Tessa, etc. are a much bigger waste of time. But I do think that a fraction of the time, energy and money spent on Adam Mark IV could go to the black cast and others.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I haven't watched in a while but I am today and I really like the new Adam. He is really good at being the heel. He has a vague arrogance and narcissism about him that is kind of hot, TBH.

And Eric Braeden actually looks alive in scenes with him which is unusual.

Edited by juppiter

• Members

His being back is creating problems for multiple characters and multiple actors who have been asleep for years are waking up. Today's show actually wasn't half bad! Y&R is the only one of the 4 current soaps that occasionally has a heart beat. Balance that with Traci writing a book about Cane and Lily which was totally boring and stupid though. 

• Members

He's a *great* find. Perfect for Adam. I just don't care for villain Adam. But I guess it fills a void and we need one of Victor's kids to be ruthless and capable of filling his shoes (it also makes sense - yet also ironic - that the kid Victor didn't raise would be ruthless, while the kids he did are selfish, spoiled and self-entitled). Victoria should have been capable, but with Heinle ... it's so LOL. She'd never be capable. She'd cry in a corner and call Billy for help. Or just sleep with a random stranger. And Morrow's Nick? LOL. Nope. He should just find a really rich wife and become his mother, pretty and stays at home.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I liked the way he acted as an amnesiac coming to terms with his past and having regrets better than I do him acting more like a schemer troublemaker. He showed a bit more of a softer side that I found really appealing. I think that he'd be better off if he were allowed to portray a mix of both versions. I think that Mark can pull that off. Maybe he will soften some when he finally gets to see Chelsea and Connor again and we'll see more layers to him. Overall, I agree he is doing a really nice job and he is sexy.

Edited by xtr