Y&R June 2019 Discussion Thread

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think the last two Adams (as in, the current one and Hartley) are fairly well-drawn thus far. MG comes off much better onscreen than in pictures. He's a solid actor and his youth next to Victoria and Nick is finally appropriate. I don't think he is the issue.

The fundamental problem with Y&R and character is twofold: 1) Nick and Victoria have been stuck in stasis as characters for years and years, and no one is willing to recast Heinle. And 2) They don't begin to give a fraction of time, consideration or energy to writing for the black cast or the Abbotts or others that they do for either Adam, who is considered a 'marquee character', or for his inert siblings who have no substantive return on investment. Yet the Newman family and children are the marquee characters, and most other folks are chaff. While Adam can be burned down over and over or have an actor quit and they'll still keep re-investing heavily in him. He's good and all, but it's like running on a treadmill creatively. The actor is doing good work - it's about spreading that wealth.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Truthfully, IDK whether I have a "favorite Adam."  Engen and Hartley were good, but was either guy my favorite?  Again, IDK.  

Then again, I'm one who thinks Y&R has never imbued Adam with one shred of humanity, thereby making him disposable in my eyes.  Maybe that has something to do with it.  #shrug