Worst Executive Producer...

• Members

LOL..now, now...leave our Fulton alone. I love Lisa just because I grew up with her...(my mom made me take a "nap" during "World Turns" and Fulton, Wagner/s and Hastings voices made me feel like I was wrapped in a blanket into my 40's) but have to agree, I think she was a pistol to deal with.  I think she screwed up a lot of Lisa's stories in the past, especially the Dobsons's era, when she wanted to be the star...(dying her hair horrendous shades or red to get attention, or making Lisa act like a ditzy dimbulb to again, get attention) and while not defending CB...it has to be hard to deal with all of these sometimes self involved actors, especially when the audience tends to imagine them as good ole Lisa etc.  Hence, why Zenk and Zimmer loved some of their stupid stories as it gave them airtime..(I remember poor Marj Dusay loving the storyline where Alex made a total fool of herself mooning over a guy who  looked like a Chippendales dancer and being jealous of simpering Marina Cooper.)

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Martha quit ATWT because they wouldnt guarntee that she would appear in the same amount of episodes she did the year previous

Noelle Beck offered to quit in Spring 2010 so Martha could reclaim Lily and play her to the end. Goutman said no.

Noelle understood what Martha as Lily meant to fans. If goutman understood, he didnt give a damn and firing Scott Bryce at Christmas time was low. Goutman is an ass.

• Members

I as sorry that the title of this thread refers to the "worst" executive producers rather than simply "executive producers."   There have certainly been comments on producers who were competent!  Perhaps the title could be changed and the word dropped.

I post here not to complain but to ask about a producer.  I saw an online article asking if Doris Quinlin (the show's new producer) could be the salvation  of The Doctors.

I never saw any of her work on the show, so I dare not comment.

I do find it ironic that this producer began her career on NBC (working on Mama, Young Doctor Malone, and Another World) prior to moving to ABC to work with Agnes Nixon on One Life to LIve and All My Children.  Fired by ABC's One Life to Live (controvercial by accounts of Ellen Holly), she returned to NBC to produce The Doctors.

Two of the actresses followed her move :  Doris Belack (Anna Woleck Craig #1) and Kathrine Glass (Jenny Woleck Siegel Vernon #1).

How much time was there between the departures of Ms. Quinlan and Ms. Belack?

I do not know how long Ms. Belack stayed (under contract?) on The Doctors, but I do know she continued acting on television (as evil Beth Bryson, R. N. and as the mayor on All My Children).

She evidently did not have the same longterm success on The Doctors as she had once had.   What was the quality of The Doctors under her guidance?

• Members

Katherine Glass actually started on TD in 1978 when Chuck Weiss was still EP. He left in 1979, and that's when Doris Quinlan replaced him as EP. I have no idea what her tenure was like, but here is a picture of her with series stars David O'Brien and Jada Rowland:

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I know that Henry Slesar  holds  a record for being head writer on one show (The Edge of Night - sixteen years).

I am wondering who holds the record for being the executive producer for the longest period.   My guess would be Luci Rittenberg Ferri for The Guiding Light.   However, Agnes Nixon was an unbilled executive producer for many years on All My Children.   Can anyone add to the discussion of the longest serviing executive? producer?

• Members

So does this, just a little

Zimmer won 4 Daytime Emmy awards, but none were under JFP. And her time working with Phelps was very brief: KZ returned to work in March of 1995, and JFP was moved to Another World in early May - actually, 24 years ago today. (The infamous day of P&G soaps musical chairs.)

As was mentioned, Zimmer didn't talk about Phelps in her book, but was cordial about her upon returning to GL. Prior to 1995, JFP made no secret that as far as she was concerned, she wasn't looking to bring Reva back. 

• Members

Yep.  He's the one who broke Slesar's record.

Agree.  My impression has always been that P&G and CBS basically had to twist JFP's arm, because she was afraid of/didn't understand the "Reva phenomenon."  And even when JFP DID agree to bring her back, she brought her back as a ghost for a brief arc w/ Josh and Annie in case KZ's return fizzled in the ratings and they needed some way to write her out again.

• Members

Wasn't Phelps even proud of the fact that it wasn't "The Reva Show" anymore?

Phelps is by far one of, if not the, most damaging, IMHO. I was just thinking today how she truly gutted GH. She got rid of any actor over 50 on Another World. I think she was too stifled at Y&R to do true damage (but she did, in different ways - with the sets ... and adding her friends Kelly Sullivan and Steve Burton). Mal did what she probably wanted to do (get rid of Paul, Neil, Ashley ...) so he was fairly damaging as well.

I'll list her damage later because there's a LOT. I know some of it could be "blamed" on the writers, but we all know how Jill Farren Phelps is as an EP ... in one breath she acknowledges Maureen's death was a mistake yet does something similar when Alan's killed and a 30 year veteran is fired (and they completely underestimated Alan's and Damon's popularity as that move backfired bigtime and fans and cast were furious; personally I don't think she recovered from it and once Frons was gone it wasn't a shock she followed, but I think I may be mixing up the timeframes of their exits). Also the Anna Lee debacle. Forcing out Jackie Zeman and Kristina Wagner. Forcing out Sarah Brown and Amber Tamblyn. She was such a destructive producer for GH.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

It was definitely a credit to the writing team ... and I think for many viewers it was probably nice to be Reva free for a few years

lol. The show definitely didn't suffer the loss of her so I can understand Phelps stance, but after seeing all the damage she's ultimately done at other soaps ... it's hard to give her a pass looking back on things.

Edited by KMan101