Y&R: RIP Kristoff St John

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This infuriates me. This has been such a hard hit for me as someone who not only loved Dru and Neil, but the actors as well. Seeing the outpouring of love and support from everyone made me realize just how shameful it is that Y&R undervalued the importance of some actors simply because they were black. People always say Victor is the face of Y&R, which is true, but right after him is Dru, Neil and to a lesser extend Malcolm. He deserved better from them. 

• Members

I thought so much about this earlier today.  Did people think that he didn't feel diminished by the way his character was marginalized?  Yes, everybody has crappy storylines but somehow we always know that Victor and Nikki will find their way back to each other (whether folks like it or not) and Sharon and Nick will always be in each other's life (whether people like it or not) and it should've been that way for Neil and Dru but it wasn't.  TIIC just shoved a bunch of ill-conceived pairings at Neil and I think KSJ wanted to work so he did his best to promote it and be a "sport" about it, lest people think him difficult.  Some of us, I know, wished that he were vocal about what displeased him but maybe he figured, though he was on for so many years, that he might not have the clout of an Eric Braeden to speak out and seeing what Sony/Y&R did to Victoria Rowell might have further discouraged him.  I don't know.  Or maybe it just wasn't in his nature? All I know is that a couple that was a breakthrough for the show, won numerous Image Awards deserved better and they didn't get it. 

In the ATWT thread, I got attacked for talking about the problematic ways in which Black characters and the actors who portrayed them, were often presented/written on daytime dramas but it is a very real aspect in the history of daytime soaps and I wish there could be an honest fact-based, almost academic-style discussion of this.  Perhaps this is too late, given the current state of the industry but I wish there were an acknowledgement and some introspection into why this exists.

• Members

same here...

Doesn't sound selfish at all. He had a lot to live for and I know losing a child is terrible nobody should have to go through that but if he did this to himself, I wish somehow he could have gotten the proper help..

I am so sad, I need to stop looking and maybe we can make a thread celebrating his life instead.....I just also feel so awful for his daughters.  I so hope he knew how loved he was and as I said if he did this to himself. People need to try to help others we know dealing with this  and get them the proper help.  The people left behind when a person dies grieve but it ends up being tragic when it is a person so young who hasn't lived a long life. So unfair.