Developing: 90210 Reboot with Original Cast!

Chris B

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This is so perfect but such a nightmare. Why are they wasting time on this silly mockumentary? The cast looked *so* good in that promo. I want a Knots Landing style reboot with them as adults! The potential for success is so big. I can't believe FOX didn't force a proper tv series. Beyond Knots, look at Desperate Housewives, Brothers and Sisters, Big Little Lies (and I could go on). People LOVE modern day soaps with an older cast. Now everybody is quitting from the writing team and this premieres in a couple months?!

• Members

It does seem more and more like they're behind this whole thing. I notice the interviews are centered on them. I think it's always a mistake when you have actors involved that closely. Especially considering they're playing versions of themselves. I wonder if the issue might be them trying to control how THEY are portrayed. I'm not sure that's fair to the others either. I feel like the end result will be very watered down.

I enjoyed Tori's show btw and it deserved to last longer, but to me these are two different things. I hate it being tied to the brand of 90210.

• Members

So many negative nellies! lol

If it were a tried and true reboot most would bitch. They do something different, most bitch. Maybe they shouldn't have bothered? lol No one's going to be 100% happy with this.

I'm willing to give it a shot. And if it sucks, I will be more than happy to shout it from the rooftops.

• Members

Regardless how the reboot turns out and what avenue they take, I question whether or not there's really an audience for it.

Nostalgia can only get you so far, and it's easier to digest with sitcoms vs. hour-long dramas/soaps. It's not like the original series is all over syndication and new generations since the initial have a huge interest in it. The CW spin-off fizzled quite rapidly, even though it ran 5 seasons as well. Most people who initially watched in the 90's have also probably moved on to more sophisticated fare, given all the options available. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I think there's potentially a huge (in this day and age, huge isn't the same as it was even 10 years ago) audience. This franchise spans a decade on air (1990-2000) and has been in constant reruns (it was on FX, SoapNet and Pop and it's always done well in reruns). It's a beloved franchise that folks STILL talk about. The 90210 reboot on The CW got around 8/9 million viewers for it's premiere. The audience is *there* but will they tune in?

The spin-off is all we have to compare and that was poorly done. Kelly faded out (Jennie lost interest apparently and so did they). Donna and Brenda were guest stars. It wasn't the truest reboot/revival, and could have done better. It fizzled because it wasn't great.

But it's a good question. I'm curious to see. I imagine a lot of fans will be thrown when they realize it's not an actual reboot in the sense of the word.

Personally, I'm starting to like they're trying something different. We'd all be critical of an actual reboot even if it's what we want. How many of us have trashed and cringed when a new reboot is brought up? LOL.

It's a big deal they're all back together. The real question shouldn't be "can this get viewers in Season 1", because I have zero doubts it can. The real question is if folks stick with it and it gets a Season 2. I agree nostalgia can only carry things so far.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

People will tune in for the first episode and leave once they realize its not an actual reboot. Since they're losing writers and the first script still hasn't even been finished yet I would just retool it into a proper revival before its too late. Open it with Dylan dying and the gang getting back together for the funeral. This thing literally writes itself so I'm not sure why they are even wasting time with this lame concept.

• Members

I like people suggesting to use Dylan's death as a kick off point. I think it would be easy. The kids should most be either done with high school or almost there so some of them could be dealing with life as single parents (Kelly, Andrea), Steve and Janet I'd keep as a solid couple and I'd develop a new love interest for Brenda. Brandon I'd put into a triangle with Kelly and Andrea. You could have Andrea and Brandon working in media, Donna running a boutique, Kelly could still be working at the high school or have her own practice as a therapist. I would just treat it like Knots Landing or Big Little Lies, a community show focused on the lives of the different characters.