Developing: 90210 Reboot with Original Cast!

Chris B

• Members

Link: https://deadline.com/2018/12/beverly-hills-90210-reboot-series-original-cast-stars-shopped-jennie-garth-tori-spelling-jason-priestley-ian-ziering-brian-austin-green-and-gabrielle-carteris-1202524313/

The Melrose Place cast has been saying this for years and I’d always dreamed of that happening. I’m shocked they’re doing it with 90210 but I hope it happens! They have a good bunch to choose from with the strong original cast (Brenda MUST return) plus some of the people added later! I’m so excited! This is a nice treat for soap fans who are often overlooked. 

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Nuke the previous revival and do it. Pretend CW 90210 never happened.

MP's revival was better (if still deeply flawed) but will prob never happen again, especially with Heather Locklear's RL situation.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I wouldn't mind if they kept what happened in the 90210 reboot with Brenda/Kelly/Dylan/Donna/David/Andrea in this version since we got some updates with Kelly having a child with Dylan, Brenda being successful as actress/director, Donna being crazy due to her and David breaking up.. and Andrea's daughter Hannah was following in her mamas footsteps by getting into journalism (the character appeared only in the pilot as an anchor on the high school news program).

I recall only liking season 1 of the 90210 show only because of the cameos of the original cast members and getting updates on their lives (much like I loved seeing Jo blackmailing Amanda and strangely acting more like herself than she did in the second half of season 3 and all of 4 of the original MP).

• Members

Oh: And someday, someone has to bring back Valerie. I've said it before, but Tiffani-Amber Thiessen shocked the hell out of me as a Saved by the Bell kid and changed her career forever with that debut season. That's a perfect example of creating the anti-Brenda and doing something new - something they cleverly camouflaged in advance press until the end of the Season 5 premiere.

Edited by Vee

• Members

The 90210 revival wasn’t very 90210 after season two but I don’t think it was bad enough to avoid when it comes to this series. Melrose on the other hand I found horrific. The writers wanting to kill Amanda in the pilot and not knowing any of the original characters was bizarre. It was such a fun show but they wrote it so dark with none of the humor from the original. If they ever did a reboot With the originals (which Id set away from the complex) I would ignore that reboot. 

Back to 90210, I do hope this ends up on a streaming service. I was recently rewatching the original on Hulu until I realized so many episodes, including the series finale are missing. Before this airs they’ve definitely got to fix that. 

My core cast for a reboot would be:

Brenda, Brandon, Kelly, Valerie, David, Donna and Andrea. I don’t want Andrea forgotten again. I could do without Steve and Janet full time but I wouldn’t mind it either. I’m also curious what new characters would be around. This is the type of reboot more shows should consider. 

• Members

I know exactly what you mean which is why I don’t hold the original reboots against them too much. 90210 in particular gave you a proper reboot with some originals but mostly following a new cast of teens at the same school. Melrose similarly gave you a new crop of tenants in the same complex.

I guess what I view this as is more of a spin-off because I do feel their is value in seeing these characters again. I remember Courtney Throne-Smith talking about wondering what Allison was up to and I’d love to see that. It wouldn’t make sense for them to be living in those tiny apartments again so why not keep it set in California but showcase their lives as middle aged adults with families? Same goes with 90210. The last few years were so far removed from school anyway so I wouldn’t necessarily need to see that again, plus they just did it with the previous reboot. 

I think it’s very clever to do a proper spin-off/reboot around the originals. Most shows people want to see the original casts back and I wouldn’t let the initial school setting hold them back in that regard. 

• Members

I could do without Tori.

I feel like this came out of nowhere!

Sure you could. And who's to say there wouldn't be new youth? Or we wouldn't see the complex on MP? The characters are what viewers want to see. 90210 in 2008 didn't necessarily benefit from a new youth cast, IMO. It was a mess for five/six seasons. And same for the MP reboot.

The sad thing is, both reboots had potential but they were hot messes (and it infuriated me how they had no idea what to do with MP; I'd much prefer to forget that version and I wouldn't mind McCord or Stroup coming onto the new 90210 reboot. I could do without Grimes). I lost interest in nu90210 after the second/third seasons. No thanks. But I did like some of the cast in both.

I could do without Tori and Donna. I'd be stunned to see Brian Austin Green and Priestley do it. I'm sure Ziering was pissed he was never included in the old reboot. He'd probably be all over this. Even Luke Perry seemed to have softened on the idea, but he's busy playing daddy on Riverdale.

I'd prefer this on a streaming service as well. I don't know if lightning would strike twice should say FOX be interested. 

Curious to see where all of this goes.

Please register in order to view this content

Love her. I was always a fan of her on SBTB and was elated to discover her on BH90210 just kicking ass and taking names. She was delightful. Valerie's one of my absolute favorites.

But I'd be surprised to see her involved. She seems to be doing her own thing.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

She's also (AFAIK) still on the outs with former BFF Jennie Garth and Tori, sadly. Shannen, who has mended all those relationships in recent years, is much more likely.

To be clear I am all for a revival properly honoring the original cast. I think the 2008 show was trash and should be nuked from continuity - it did waste good new talents as well, as we've all discussed before. But I still think any revival will require a new teen cast, just like the '08 show, but much more well-executed.