B&B actor updates his status on the soap

• Members

Exactly. This could've been a great story - and hit both sides - that people can be bigots because they don't understand/have experience with certain people and how these people who had known Maya for years gained an understanding of who she was, why she hid the truth (this would've been where Julius would've come in), etc. Didn't Maya also lie about having a daughter and searching for her, which was a big story where the character appeared on scene? I know they somehow dismissed that in two lines, which was weak. 

Let's think of how many soap couple over the years have broken up because the other 'hid' something - and nothing really comes close to this type of deception. To have everyone just dismiss it away is an insult to the characters and the audience. If anyone could've pulled off the evolution from betrayal to understanding to forgiveness in a credible way, it would've been JY and KKL - and that would've been great material for all involved. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This was my thought--the Zoe/Zarf story 10+ years back was written better, and that was hardly a masterpiece (though I do think it had some built in obstacles like the opinion that they were trying to find a stealth way to pair Bianca with a man).  But a lot of it in hindsight did work as did the classic Agnes Nixon technique (which I think Bradley Bell *has* used) of showing a meeting of "real life" people going through a transition interacting in a support meeting with Zoe.

I just don't think Bradley Bell can tell stories like that.  It's sad that McTavish can better...

• Members

I don't get why you wouldn't show Maya/Rick breaking up on screen.. Maya and Rick both had baggage that could have been mined for story purposes for years and years... but when you have Brad Bell (that inherited none of his father's writing talent) in charge.. not a surprise.  I wish someone would try Lauralee Bell as head-writer (based on her shorts and online series.. she inherited her dad's talent more than Brad did..imho).

• Members

I have a feeling Maya is only back because it would look bad to fire an actress on maternity leave. I'll be shocked if they pair Maya with someone else.

Also I recently followed Reign Edwards on instagram and she is a treat and a treasure and thank fck she escaped this garbage of a show. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The offscreen break-up of Rick and Maya was such a disappointment. I really miss Jacob Young. It'd be great to have a viable leading man besides Liam on the show 24/7. There was so much potential with Rick and Maya...much more to explore with Maya's history, her sketchy past (she was in jail!), her transgender journey.  I would have loved to have seen a viable triangle with them involved...someone from Rick or Maya's past coming between them.

But nope...Liam. Every. Single. Day.

Does Liam have a magic wand somewhere below we don't know about?

• Members

I think that could have worked. He could have been a decent Billy. I think that could have been a better fit for him than him playing characters like Adam or Dylan (other characters that I have heard that people suggest he play).

Archived