What Are You Watching/Binging/Streaming Now?

applcin

• Members

I assume you mean at the end of S2 when he was shot and she went to cradle him ahead of checking if the young dude she'd just boned was ok? (Because S3 ended differently).

Yeah, I feel like Alan Cubitt fell prey to that old Hollywood trope where the investigator & killer are two sides of the same coin. In S3, Gibson did say that she saved Spector's life because she wanted him to stand trial for the women he killed and get a life sentence for it. But it was clear at the end of S2 that she made a choice between her lover and him, which is 

Please register in order to view this content

whichever way you look at it.

I feel like S3 started going somewhere else and then halfway through turned left, and they kind of swept that whole event under the carpet.

They also drew a visual comparison between Stella having been beaten up by Spector, and Katie harming herself on her arm. I feel like the series from the very beginning invited comparison and established commonalities between the hunters and the hunted.

Edited by Cat

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Mare of Easttown. No spoilers please -- I'm only on Episode 3! The community it depicts and their ties to each other really elevates this drama above simple murder procedural. Kate Winslet usually annoys me but I think she's doing ok here and not being too showy with her acting.

Also Jean Smart is in this. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Cat

• Members

Winners and Losers - Australian show about four best friends who were "losers" in high school who reunite at their 10th high school reunion who end up winning the lottery. 

I'm currently on Season 1 and it's pretty good so far. 

• Members

The Rookies.

The past weekend, Decades did a marathon and I had to have more.  Some lovely soul put the entire series on YT and I'm in heaven.  

I am currently on an episode featuring David Canary, David Soul and David Huddleston.  I literally LOLd when I saw that.  It's like the casting director was on a mission.  

• Members

Better than The Undoing. From beginning to end!

This was like a soap in a way -- the who/whydunnit was of course important and the through-line, but what really raises the stakes is the relationships between people in this insular, down-on-its-luck community where most people know each other from childhood. You care about them! And it wasn't all downbeat -- actually, the moments of levity were the parts that stood out for me. These characters did not wallow in their own problems. And the women basically hold the place together.

Like I said before, I've never been the biggest fan of Kate Winslet. Back in the day, I used to find her acting a touch Too Much and felt she was somewhat overhyped as a Great Actress. What I would give for that quality of acting now! Anyway, I really warmed to her in Mare of Easttown. You could tell how empathetic and connected to her character she became.

A host of other strong supporting performances in this -- Evan Peters, Julianne Nicholson, Jean Smart and Jack Mulhern were standouts.

• Members

I’m not sure if the U.K. programs have the same issues with renegotiating and updating ancient union guild contracts with cast and crew for today’s streaming era, but I’d love to get to the bottom of that. @Errol?  The U.K. has Equity, WGGB, and other unions too.

I wonder if part of it is that British soaps are considered more “mainstream” (airing in primetime, greater gender parity in viewership, etc.). Then again, we’re still waiting on Knots Landing and Falcon Crest to hit streaming in the U.S.

• Members

It's most likely because they aired in primetime though before the watershed is one of the many factors they get to stream online.  U.K. soaps don't also have to deal with music rights like shows in the past had to in the states. All that music from soaps of the past from Daytime and Primetime would have to edit out the Top 40 music. Look at Beverly Hills 90210 they had to edit all of that music out for muzak.