Y&R December 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He suffered nothing for his misdeeds. And now they have Lily pinning over him. GMAB!!

The skip a day episode by Mal stinks!  JT makes his grand appearance and poof it's the next day. No follow up at all. HORRIBLE!!

The best part of the episode was the recap at the beginning. I guess Mal decided to add that and get rid of the next episode preview.

• Members

Mal's version of YR sucks so far.  Every inexperienced writer (who doesn't know US soaps) tries this. Lee Sheldon tried in on Edge of Night. Stern/Black tried in on ATWT and the list goes on.  Never works.  Fans watch for the small reactions the big payoffs that carry over.  Mal is too interested in imposing a format that he finds appealing instead of crafting compelling story and fleshing out the beats needed whether that's a day change or stretching one day into three weeks of episodes.  YR is famous for the long drawn out, the close ups, the intimacy, the tears.  He's cut the guts out of the soul and history of the how, or he's trying to.  Sony and CBS are idiots.  Lisa de Smith Corsett isn't going to improve things either.  Shelly Curtis, Sally MacDonald, Wendy Riche, hell Jennifer Pepperman would make better EPs of YR

• Members

The 'daily show' definitely did not work with JT's arrival. He walks in and we see nothing with Victor/Victoria reacting in real time! What??? 

Yes to recap - I thought that was done well and I can do without previews. 

+1M - Lily sitting alone at Club sulking for Cane. Just NO! Better: Lily sees JT and they go upstairs for a romp - that'll put a quick end to Cane pining! 

Same with Hilary/Cane. I have no idea why, but MM/DG have always given off a very positive vibe and they look good together.

• Members

Well today Lily won me over in her talk with Abby. I loved that she brought up Sharon and how unfair it is to her.

I don’t like Cane at all, but I like his friendship with Hillary. Scenes with her new circle of friends are where Hillary really shines for me.

Jason Thompson’s dye job looked terrible in those scenes outside with Nick.

• Members

Was home and watched.  Thank goodness The Big Valley comes on almost at the same time!  

Lily sitting there thirsty for Cane.  I'm not opposed to them reuniting, but why must it be Lily with so much regret? Regret of not forgiving Cane sooner?  This is bull chit!  

Time to write out poorly cast Billy and deSORASed Phyllis.  They are beyond pointless and not cute.  Billy can't find a job so he sits there and sexts Phyllis while she's at a meeting?  Ridiculous!  They need to go!  

• Members

Okay, I've had a suspicion since the very early going of MY's tenure and now it's only getting stronger-- he is really centering the male characters for prominence in these damn story lines. Victor, Scott, Cane...who's next? Oh and don't get me started on Jack's now control over Hilary's show!

Please register in order to view this content

The one company headed by a woman, Fenmore's, we almost never see unless it's Phyllis trying to conduct "business" while playing sexting footsie under the virtual table with Billy.

JT and Victoria seem awkward as can be but it actually works for their story. I couldn't help but wonder how much more resonant that scene between JT and Billy could've been had it been David Tom though.

JT bores some, I know but there was a time when he had really good chemistry with onscreen partners-- Lydnsy Fonseca, Lauren Woodland, Mitzi Kapture, Ashley Bashioum, Adrienne Leon. Some of these were romantic, some more platonic but I think the man problem was that the writing degraded over time.  In any case, I think his stint this time around is relatively short, and therefore nothing to get worked up over.

The writing for Lily was pretty decent today, especially her scenes talking with Abby. I'm not fond of the idea of a reconciliation with Cane. Cane is as oily as can be, which works for the character but unless Lily is going to be a doormat, I'm not sure what's in it for the character of Lily. They've never been interesting enough as a blissful couple, so unless there is further turmoil for them, I don't see what there is to invest in them as a couple.

• Members

Ironic.that one of SSM's Good moves with an actual plot and logical progression....cane/Lily breaking up is quickly being undone by MY.  There are enough things left by Sally that MY could habe focused on fixing and just letting the few things she did right continue.

Archived