Y&R December 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

That seems to be one of MY's M.O.s He did the EXACT same thing with Jordan, who one week proclaims he'd never release Hilary's nude photos, then the next week (days later) releases them. The story didn't even support this complete 180 in any logical way.

As for Scott, I have a feeling that MY probably likes DH and wants to make him/Scott a central character.

I'd also be on the lookout for Victor.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm getting the distinct notion that MY wants Victor to be more prominent again (similar, if less obvious, to the way Pratt had centered Victor).

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's not so much the "speed" of a storyline that needed to be reworked but the process of writing for other characters (who are not central) well enough in the interim, so that your A&B storylines can flow in a detailed enough manner without appearing to drag.

His new system of "one per day" is just not working well within the method of soap opera storytelling because he's rushing the narrative and a whole lot of details are getting lost.

It seems faster on the surface but within individual scenes, there is still 'drag'.

I do agree with that last point of 3 day set of scenes (that's a great point, actually) and I wonder how many days per week are/were British soaps on, particularly the ones he's worked on in the past? I know that some are not on daily, right?  

This may be one of the reasons why we see what we see.

JMO but I'm noticing a few things. The wiry, wild hair...the fact that Scott's a writer...I wonder if somehow MY sees a semblance of himself (or who he would've like to have been at one stage in his life) in the Scott character and DH somehow embodies this (or MY would like him to embody this).

This is one of the reasons why in my writing of characters, I have avoided (so far), creating any characters who are writers. There's too much temptation for that wish-fulfillment of having a character that is a lot like you (or how you'd see yourself).

MY likely doesn't see Scott as boring. He's got the dude juggling two women right now. What other character is being written this way?

• Members

Yes!!!! I told someone this just last week. Scott is Mal's self insertion.  Glad I'm not the only one who sees this. A beta male  (with average looks and shaggy hair) crime fighting heroic WRITER cum FBI agent stuck between two beautiful blondes.  I most definitely think Mal sees himself as Scott. 

• Members

LOL

I was like...when did Nick ever care or show interest in Katherine's place? And again Mal pits brother vs sister with Vicky and Nick.

And I've said once and I've said it twice and I'll say it again....Joshua Morrow can't act worth [!@#$%^&*].

• Members

LOL at Dickolas talking about concrete and traffic etc. I'm assuming the tower in which he's lived - in two units - is a figment. I don't get the purpose of this story. 

Im still po'd about the Jack/Ashley fight. And Jack squashed a contract that Ash has 'been negotiating (present tense) for years!' Yeah, right. 

At least they found an effective way to use The Worm, JC was perfection in that episode. 

• Members

I zoned out with Nick. Morrow is the same all the time. Ugh. He's so blah and monotone.

I still can't believe I actually have an interest now when Victoria's on my screen.

I've loved the use of JC/Gloria lately. It's been perfect. It was too much when she first came back and dominated Lauren's story. Now she's used well and effectively. I've enjoyed her.

Does someone hate Gina T. in hair and makeup and wardrobe? Lawd. What a mess. And a horse. Named Philly. I mean. Really Mal Young? Lawd. LOL Such fan-pandering.

I'm really not liking what I've been seeing with Sharon the last few episodes. I feel like she's getting ready to board the crazy train again and I don't like it. The way Case is playing it too has me  wondering what's going on. I'm just not seeing the same person, it's subtle but it's there IMO.

I liked Dina/Ashley and the ice skating and ending the episode on Dina scoffing at the mere notion of ice skating after previously waxing nostalgic about it. They're playing it well but it feels like it's sometimes too much too fast.

I'm probably mixing the last two episodes, I watched them together today.

Archived