Y&R December 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is Sharon off her meds? Having sex where Mariah or Faith could walk in seems OOC with the responsible Sharon we've seen lately. Is risky behavior about of her illness? Or is this just build up for her finding out about Abby and Scott? And yeah, +1. 

I disliked the Chancellor Park story until I saw this upcoming Mondays episode. It's really about gentrification. A very timely story. So I'm no longer scoffing at it. My only problem with it is Nikki and Nick being the opposers. It should be more middling class people who don't have grass and horses in their on backyard. But I guess Y&R doesn't have anyone like that. Even Kevin could take Bella to the Chancellor Mansion. Mariah lives on the Newman Estate. Ravi, possibly. Maybe the teens who grew up playing there (Charlie and Maddie could organize then draw in Winters to help cause they love and support the kids). It just rings false with Nikki and Nick. 

• Members

My only problem with the Chancellor Park story is that it involves such a new-ish park.  

The parks most in danger are overwhelmingly ones that are old and/or in economically depressed areas and are decaying due to neglect.

It just seems illogical that such a well-kept park, that is less than 20 years old, named after an esteemed citizen of GC, that is used A LOT by the residents would somehow be easy pickings for some shell company.

Like I said, as a means to give Nick and Nikki something active to "do" story-wise, I understand it and even like the idea behind it but the logic behind the site of Chancellor Park seems somewhat flawed to me, especially in this era of cities and suburbs alike trying to carve out "green spaces". 

If the neighborhood were economically depressed and the park had fallen into disrepair, lack of use, this storyline would make sense to me.

• Members

The weakness in this storyline is largely a function of not having any middle class or working class families on the canvas. When Nick is trying to explain to Victoria about the advantages her children have over other children, it seemed like he was talking in the abstract. There are no examples of those children playing in the park to illustrate his talking point, because we've never seen those children on screen.

Years ago, I suggested that Nick start his own philanthropic organization. It was funny because I could practically hear the collective groans, yet a couple years later there would be the Abbott-Winters Foundation, which we saw for a brief time, before being relegated to the background.

Think of how much stronger Nick's speech and this storyline would've been if the viewer had seen any connection between Nick and some working class parents/families, whether through philanthropic work or even onscreen interaction with someone who worked at the Underground.

It's clear that MY wants his Y&R to be grounded in more reality, but the world of GC hasn't been grounded in real world realism for a very long time. One cannot just concoct a realism from nothing, one has to create that world first (having real world characters from various walks of life would help). I haven't seen anything to that effect and it seems like there's no patience for that type of story-building.

• Members

More illogical with park storyline: 1) NE wouldn't dare do anything controversial at this point; 2) I thought NE's assets were frozen; and 3) Victor and Victoria both adored and admired Katherine. They'd never do anything to even give a hint of disrespect.

It's not playing for me. It's like they took the ridiculous and illogical Spectra building/Spencer tower storyline from B&B and decided let's do that!

And I'll be disappointed if Dina doesn't march into Victor's office and rip him apart. After all, Katherine was Dina's best (and only) friend in GC. 

Archived