Y&R December 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're all right: some male leads in that age group are severely lacking. 

I'd like to see the return of Chance, perhaps Ronan, someone in law enforcement to make it a relevant department again. That could also usher in Nina, but that's another ask for another day. 

It would be nice to see Kyle, but with the recasting roulette there, would it be difficult to make the character viable again? I've always had a massive crush on Todd Rotondi and adored him on ATWT. I don't think he's acting anymore, but that's the kind of look I would love Kyle to have. He's in his early 40s now but looks younger than he is. Pipe dreams. 

• Members

If Y&R refused to write for Neil, Devon, Ji Min, Tyler, Mason and Jordan there's no way Keemo & Nate would ever be written for (legacy ties or not).

They would be B story supporting characters for 6 months, before being thrown into an afterthought interracial relationship with a young white female actress until they're written off when the young white female actress is paired with Y&R's newest younger white "leading man."

And he gets NOTHING.

The reality is Y&R doesn't care about non-Newman & Abbott characters. And even the Abbotts (outside of Jack & Billy) are barely written for.

They've been trying to make Nick/Billy/Adam happen for years. But it doesn't work because Morrow can't carry a show, retcons & recasts have ruined any potential Billy ever had and the less said about Adam the better.

• Members

Yeah, this show clearly centers solely on the Newmans and (to a much lesser extent) the Abbotts and anyone else is disposable at this point. They'll bring in someone short-term to shake things up until they burn out of story.

Phyllis, Sharon, and Chelsea have traditionally been useful solely as incubators for Newman spawn. (Post-GT, Phyllis's connections to the Newmans has been downplayed, but I'm sure a Summer recast will happen eventually. Not sure how long they can milk this rom-com stuff with Billy, but it was wearing thin a long time ago. Phyllis may make her way back to Jack if/when the Dina story comes to a conclusion.)

An influx of Chancellors (Mac/Chance/Nina, et al) I think is wishful thinking, and where's that money coming from to support SEVERAL new cast members? Doug Davidson's days as a contract player are probably numbered, so that could open up some budget. MCE feels superfluous, but we all know someone in TPTB (if not MY) is biding their time for an Adam recast.

And Nick needs something/someone to do in the meantime. They are not going to let him go without a love interest and Phick/Shick redux don't seem on the table. There's always Lily/Hilary but...

• Members

She definitely needs a "grown-up" relationship, not pairings with guys with Mommy (or Daddy) issues.

The same complaint was there for Neil's relationships. A similar thing could also be said about Ashley as well.

For this same reason, I don't want Hilary tied to Jack, or Nick (or Cane either, for that matter- we already had it with Cane and Lily and I don't want it to be revisited with the other young brown woman on the GC canvas).

There has been little to no investment in NextGeneration couples on this show.

Since Noah has advanced to adulthood, they've paid lip-service to his pairings.

They did even less with Kyle after pretending that he and Summer would get together (what was the purpose of tearing her from Jack, who seemed the most realistic paternal prospect?).

They did nil with Fen and now I don't even know what they're doing with Mariah.

The only honest stab at a NextGeneration couple is Devon and Hillary and it's obvious TPTB don't want to risk putting these two in super-couple territory.

This show definitely cannot pick 'em like they used to.

• Members

What was the point in JT returning?

What was the point in Jill returning? She seemed like everything was fine. Nothing was said about Cane's misdeeds. He is living in Kay's house and running Chancellor. Just horrible!!

Ashley is again interested in stopping Jack will an unwilling Traci.

Victor acted like he hadn't seen JT at all.

Nikki and Gay Guy.....ugh!

What was the point in Nikki's three day story arc? Let's see to give Victor leverage over her? You owe me!

Abby and Scott put together by accident to work together....whatever....lame

• Members

Jill would never sell Chancellor Industries! If this isn't some ploy of hers to rule them all then Mal Young is really more clueless than I thought. 

DH is a 40 something white male just like all the other romantic male leads on this show (JM, JT, DG).  He's not doing anything for that younger group cause he's not in it either. He is a very fresh  character who is unconnected to Newmans and Abbots so that's something. 

• Members

Yikes. I couldn't find a birth date for him, so my bad if I assumed wrong. Man, they really infantilized his character, even on a show filled with pathetic man-children like Billy, Nick, and especially Cane. They've written him like a man in his mid-to-late 20s, if not younger.

• Members

^ I agree that DH is either late 30's or early 40's. I haven't seen a DoB, but he looks age appropriate for Sharon no matter how they are trying to write for him.

Noah is not happening. They've made some half hearted attempts, but it's simply not going to happen with this actor. He's too beta and he's the type who will look like a kid 10 years from now. There is no one to pair him with. Hillary would wipe the floor with him. There is no way I believe he could handle that much woman. 

Archived