Y&R December 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Oh and the fast pace is ridiculous. In one scene Ashley is at Jabott and then in a split second she is at the club and then back to the office. The same for Jack. Are they Superman and Wonder Woman where they can get back that fast to the offices?

The board meeting had a lot of vets but mini story is a complete failure.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Today's episode has achieved status as one of the worst episodes in the last ten years on this show.  Nothing touches Latham...yet. But Mal may come close and "Dear God in Heaven" he may quickly surpass Latham's nightmare and plunge the show into the crapper.  In one week, Mal has assassinated Nikki's character, Ash, Jack and even Dina (the bridge game?!).  I'd normally give a new writer six months to a year depending on how bad the previous HW left the show; but the fact that Mal has been there for a few years, and this is what he rolls out?  Long time soap viewers have seen this time and again with non daytime trained folks coming in and overlaying a dumb structure to try to hide lack of creativity.  The actors couldn't even pull of the dialog of Tuesday's episode..so sad to see this.  

• Members

There's quickening the pace, but MY is Zooming through scenes, and not to the benefit of the show, the characters, or the audience. That rude Ashley dropping Ravi like a hot potato was far from her character. (I'd expect that from Shari Shattuck's cold-ass Ashley, but not ED's).

As others have said, Jill isn't Jill without at least a little scheme. Without it, she's just another dayplayer.

The "meet the board members" should have been over the course of one episode, and the board meeting another. ITA Keemo should have cast the vote--and in person. Kyle had no problem with Jack (that I remember).

I don't care if the show is fast or slow, just that it makes the beats (which it doesn't), and makes sense (which a lot of is lost in MY's writing). 

• Members

Gosh that was a great business story that ended up having a ton of emotional resonance and leading to learning about Luncinda's horrific past and creation of appropriately name WorldWide! 

Y&R has the best corporate landscape in soaps and has really missed the mark for years on business stories. 

• Members

I am reminded when Hogan Sheffer started the quick pace on ATWT.  I don't believe Sheffer skipped as many beats as Mal Young is doing.

Thankfully that didn't last too long at ATWT. Innovation is good and trying to refresh a genre that is dying is not always good.

Remember the shaky camera work and the story telling on Wednesdays they did at GL.

Marland's ATWT was the best Soapsuds and the Connor - Lucinda stories were great.

I miss Sussman and Alden and I wish they could have been given a longer chance to prove themselves. I wonder how much support they got from Mal Young?

• Members

Yesterday's episode was visually appealing. I hated the most recent dialogue between Ashley and Ravi. Sorry MY, Ashley would not have done that or said that to Ravi.

There is so much continuity that is missing as well as skipped beats. It seems that every other day the show is somewhat good, and the other days it's just bad because of these things.

Hilary reminded me of a feisty black female character yesterday, but I can't recall the name...

I'm also disappointed that MY also seems to be intent on Victor never being allowed to learn or grow. His comment about not sharing the same bed with Nikki after what she did was nausea inducing, all things considered. Please don't insult your audience MY. I don't know anyone who watches a show to be repeatedly angered and nauseated.

Archived