Y&R December 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And suuuure does. Yum!!! 

So I on Thursday of last week and...only a few jarring moments for me.

WHAT I LIKED

There was a camera angle in the Wednesday Lily/Hillary scene that was excellent and made that living room look wider than it normally does.

Anything Abbott actually. One day aside, there was a good flow and tension over that Abbott board meeting and some decent fallout from it. Like the rest of  you though, I'm not liking some of what Jack is saying to Ashley since he has known 'the secret' for decades to now be throwing it in her face. Uh...NO. Jack WOULDN'T do that. 

I find it very interesting that what SSM did with the Newmans by putting Victor at odds with the family in a glided cage is what is now being done to Nikki. And while her and the money is something Nikki WOULDN'T do...I will say the setup to it at that dinner was excellent. Still...there was some jarring transitions on that that was not as easy to hide as the Abbott drama was.

The returns. I like seeing JT with some story. And Jill is...Jill...and the reason I've been bingewatching again.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKED

Just the out of charcter-ness. Speaking of...JILL WOULD NEVER SELL THE COMPANY!!!!! HELL TO THE NO!!!

Yep. I'm kinda over the Billy/Phyllis scenes. Has gotten worse I feel than that first few MY episodes.

Anything Cane. I just can't.

Goody Goody Hillary is coming across fake...or like a Karla Mosley clone tbh. 

OVERALL: Not bad...YET.

• Members

I finally got curious and went to take a look and I tell you what, there are some thirsty beyeotches on that FB page!

The Christmas episode was a definite improvement from the previous episode but that previous episode was so bad, it wouldn't have really taken much to surpass it.

Hilary's vignette was definitely the standout in the special episode. Nikki's wasn't bad but it definitely would've had more resonance had it been that lady telling Jill, "listen heifer, don't you dare sell Chancellor Industries after all you did to get your claws in that company!" 

Got to be honest, I sort of zoned out on the Billy/Phyllis vignette. Did I miss anything? lol.

• Members

I thought that the entire Christmas episode was lousy except for the Sharon/Mariah scenes. There’s been growth in their relationship, so it all felt real and genuine.

The Nikki stuff? Awful. So the heartwarming message is that Katherine will be forever known by her expensive necklace?? The necklace that Nikki leaves hanging on the Chancellor Park sign?? My God. 

Billy and Phyllis? That pear tree looked so fake it was pathetic. And you mean if a gift for your true love hadn’t arrived by Xmas Eve, you wouldn’t shop for something else? You’d use your “I’m a screwup” line again? UGH.

The Hilary segment didn’t work because by Wednesday, any impact from this experience will be gone and Hilary will be back to her old self with no changes, no growth. She’ll scream at Mariah again, too.

And what kind of young kid watches GCBuzz and writes Santa letters to send there? And why would Hilary open a letter on air for the first time and read it? No television show operates that way. It wasn’t touching or interesting or moving. It was bad.

No, Christmas wasn’t bad for me, either. This episode was Bah Humbug CRAP, though.

• Members

I wasn't a big fan of Hilary's segment because the show has played that arc too many times for her. It's seems meaningless. It'll only work if they use it as a tipping point to change her behavior without random regression to make to story "interesting", i.e. Her putting Tessa's arrest out there on GC Buzz AFTER she said she wouldn't do that to anyone anymore because of the nudes.

On the other hand, it seemed that they're using it to give Hilary's character new motivation. A family. Which seems in line with what they've been doing with her lately. 

• Members

As much as I loved it for the pure acting by MM, you're right I had to roll my eyes at the end of Hillary's part (her writing a letter) because it's not going to change anything. Any attempt to humanize her IMO at this point falls flat bc tomorrow we'll be back at square one. 

• Members

I just watched the first season of Dear White People on Netflix, and Coco was a somewhat similar character to Hilary. Ambitious, cutting, calculating, willing to be somewhat cruel. She has all the markings of an obnoxious, abrasive bitch, but the difference is that we're always aware of her character motivations and her humble beginnings, which makes her sympathetic. Hilary just seems to be a thoughtless barracuda, and the shifts between that and the softer scenes just feel leaden and disconnected.

• Members

Hillary also came from humble beginnings but the show didn't play that. She was played as more of a spoiled princess than a scrapper determined to rise up in life. Her writing was better suited for Abby than someone who grew up poor. But that was to juxtapose against Mariah as opposites during their rivalry. Now that's over, they are rewriting the character again. No longer driven by fortune, fame, and running GC, I'm assuming her new motivation will be...a family. Y&R just can't make up their mind on who this character is. She changes with each arc. 

Archived