Y&R December 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sorry, but this show gets and worse. Zero respect for the history and it seems intent on ruining core characters.

Jack's always been arrogant and had a sense of entitlement, but he's really going to use Ashley's paternity against her? Knowing damn well that John would have had hies head if he'd dared do such a thing while he was alive.  He also keeps babbling as if Katherine was a major supporter of his, yet she barely seemed to help the Abbotts, except John, preferring to side with Victor at almost every turn.

Jill is suddenly willing to just let go and is all about charity? I get that due to ageism and.or sexism the producers don't like to feature Jill in anything except brief cameos once or twice a year, or maybe Jess Walton truly does not want to work much, but really? Her greatest assets were her bitchy humor, her ambition and ruthlessness. I'm all for character growth, lack of it being Victor's downfall imo, and a huge change after a health scare makes sense, but must it be so drastic? Especially given her prior obsession with all things Chancellor?

• Members

The writing for Jill started going downhill fast way back in 2009, but she didn't jump the shark until this. WTH Mal Young? 

Please register in order to view this content

Desiring all that is Chancellor, is the at the core of Jill.

Who is this vacation loving, spa going, bucket list making old lady, who wants to give up her multinational company (founded by the love of her life); her status in the business world; and her hard earned fortune to help some unspecified needy people?

• Members

THIS.

As far back as I could understand soaps, that has been made very clear to me...that is the essence of who Jill is. So to hear that NOW when before when she was still doing these vacations Jill was STILL about her company does not ring true at all for her. 

Now I could see her changing to help others not as lucky as her, but not at the expense of the love of her life's company that she found his wife tooth and nail for. I just can't. 

• Members

If Jill were a man she'd be in the mix of things and as front and center as Jack and Victor are. No reason Jill isn't used as much as they are and driving story. NO REASON.

Her wanting to sell Chancellor makes NO sense to me. None. I didn't recognize Jill at all when she came back and acted like Mother Earth.

I just don't get it.

I guess there's a reason I have five or six episodes sitting on the DVR ...

• Members

I've been saying this for some time but MY's writing regime has really put this into sharp focus.

About a month ago, I posted that it looked as if Mal was centering the male characters (Victor, Jack, Cane, Scott).  I should've stipulated that it would be those who he considers "core" characters, which does not include all male characters on this show.

Which is why I think Oregon became more attractive to her in the years that followed.  Why stick around only to be underutilized and marginalized?

• Members

In Mal's mind.  Just like, in his mind, Scott's a core character, though he is devoid of personality.  That's why we have scenarios where we're seeing each have two women who are competitive with each other with them in the middle.

I'm definitely not saying that's the way it should be, I'm saying, that's the way it currently is.

Archived