Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well apparently it runs this board also. I am not a Megyn Kelly fan by any means  and I am not sure I agree with you on her (Andy Lack is her biggest cheerleader) but I am perplexed as to why people in this thread are perpetuating this need for some male savior to come in and save the Today Show and CBS this morning. I understand that both networks will be putting men in most likely, but a discussion about why an all female panel should be considered might be nice to see for a change.

wow. I don't want to credit him but this is one of the most mature responses I have seen yet. Maybe I am giving him too much credit or maybe I am just in shock

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I am truly shocked that you would see my statement as supportive of the "man-only head-anchor" mindset. 

Please register in order to view this content

It was written with my tongue firmly in my cheek. I would be for an all-female hosting team. Not sure Savannah Guthrie is the person to head it, but there are plenty of good journalists who could headline the Today show, not least two women Lauer and his producers chased away: Tamron Hall and Ann Curry.

I am not a Megyn Kelly fan myself but I do know that when her hiring by NBC was announced, there were grumblings at NBC News and Today about her being parachuted in.

Me, me, I, I, me, me, I. This statement is by a man who has never not considered that he is the sun around which everybody orbits.

His syrupy smarminess is even prevalent in that official statement. It sounds so fake.

• Members

I wasn't speaking of you sorry I apologize. But I have seen a lot of debate on Brian Williams, Bryant Gumbel, etc and not one mention of why are any of them needed. I stand by what I said, Charlie Rose's departure from the CBS morning show is not a loss. Gayle King and Nora O'Donnell IMO are strong enough to carry that show themselves. Today is weak. But I honestly don't think bringing Gumbel back is any kind of solution. I'd take Pauley back in a heartbeat.

• Members

Yep. And I think in one of my posts earlier I advocated for bringing Bryant Gumbel back along with Jane Pauley. I think my assumption was that TV execs seems to like one male/one female co-anchors on these early morning shows -- and maybe there are audience surveys that speak to that decision, too. Live with Kelly and Whoever is another example where, after Michael Strahan left, the hunt was on for a male-co-anchor to host with Kelly Ripa. There was no question that that co-host was going to be male.

I would agree with you that Gayle and Norah could easily host CBS Morning without breaking a sweat. In any case, I like that show for Gayle.

• Members

How many other perverts/predators who are in the public eye are shaking in their shoes...knowing it's not if, but when, they'll be caught as well? Or are they just so narcissistic that they don't think they will be caught? That's what I thought about when the likes of Matt Lauer and Charlie Rose reported on these scandals for all these weeks before their firings.

• Members

The reason I brought up Brian WIlliams is because Andrew Lack has worked hard to try to rehabilitate him and make viewers want him back in a major role at NBC - that is the main reason he was pushed into a major role at MSNBC, to set the stage for a larger return. It wasn't because I see men as the ideal for morning talk.

I did bring up Willie Geist, mostly because I couldn't remember if he still works for Today. But yes, I do assume that they will bring a man in.

They could have two women co-anchor the show, it's just not something I'll expect from Today or NBC News given how they've treated women over the years, from Jane Pauley to Deborah Norville to Ann Curry. The way that women were used yesterday to try to manipulate viewers into feeling sorry for Matt Lauer, to the point of Kathie Lee even using her dead husband to try to shame viewers into "forgiving" Lauer, speaks volumes.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I apologize if I misread things. I do agree that they will find a male co-host in both instances. that's being realistic. I just personally don't happen to agree it's needed nor do I really believe any of the suggestions really work at this point and that includes Brian Williams. I honestly think Geist would be a better fit, but he was already tried and I guess failed since he landed back with Joe and Mika.

• Members

Russell Simmons has undergone a LOT of change in his life. He went from hip-hop to being a vegan who will happily talk for 20 minutes about his favorite yoga pose. (He was a speaker at a conference I attended.) I think it's possible to address bad past behavior and acknowledge that people can change.

• Members

Isn't Pauley already hosting CBS Sunday Morning?

Gumbel is on HBO with Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel.

I don't see either abandoning their shows.

JMO because I really don't watch The Today Show but if anyone should be asked first, it should be Ann Curry and Tamron Hall. 

So what if The Today Show would be an all-women team?  At one point The Today Show was certainly comprised of all-men.  

@YRBB I guess Russell Simmons was done trying to deny it as he did several weeks ago.

I do feel for his daughters, Ming and Aoki. They are at particularly impressionable ages in their development as young women. This will likely hit them hard.

Edited by DramatistDreamer