Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Members

I was not impressed with Guthrie but I can't blame her for being emotional given her position and how quickly it happened - plus she's a lightweight. I do think Norah O'Donnell and Gayle King handled the Charlie Rose shocker with much more strength and conviction. (Kathie Lee chiming in to ramble about how she had equal sympathy for Lauer and the victim was worse, though)

I think they have their own attitudes and old boys club to blame. They passed on Farrow's expose on Weinstein, which led to all of this. Someone at NBC must have made the calculus then that it could blow up on them for Lauer, and they walked away. They also sat on Trump's Access Hollywood tape last year. I don't think this has anything to do with ratings - Lauer was in the DNA at NBC. It has to do with this moment which they failed to prepare for.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Right. Buses always come in threes!

How is it we are seeing the same run of anchors across networks reporting this Lauer news and saying how shocked they are. Really? I heard about Lauer years ago, and the Morales stuff AND the way Ann Curry was treated confirmed what kind of dog he is.

Edited by Cat

• Members

I always feel like people have to feign shock in order to cover their proverbial asses.  They can't say, "Well, I knew this would happen sooner or later," because, if they do, then others will ask, "Well, if you KNEW, then why didn't you say something before now?"

• Members

Remember the week of the Boston Marathon bombing in April 2013? There was a massive explosion at a fertilizer plant in Texas a couple of days after the tragic events at the Boston Marathon. Thinking that the perpetrators wouldn't be found so quickly, Lauer thought the bigger immediate story was in Texas and flew there to cover it.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/photos-of-the-texas-blast

Meanwhile, the country at large woke up the next day to hear that the city and suburbs of Boston were basically under lockdown. Savannah Guthrie was left to cover the unfolding story for hours on end, and it is still probably the crowning moment in her journalistic career:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nbc-today-show-get-boston-marathon-bombing-coverage-right

I remember thinking even then how chapped Lauer had to be that it was his female co-anchor who got to cover this huge event and got praise from so many. As well she should have...I still think she did a great job that day.

• Members

I realise they are covering their asses. I just hate the fakery. 

Please register in order to view this content

It's unfair of me to attack the hair models and news bimbos fronting the news desks. My biggest issue is with all these MALE producers and executives (at NBC, Fox, wherever) who are producing, btw, morning shows whose primary audience is largely female. They tolerated this behaviour for ages. Actually, no, scratch that. Not tolerated. Enabled. Encouraged. Probably participated in it themselves. There is no way that with all the gossip surrounding Lauer that NBC haven't been settling out-of-court for years. Meanwhile, they kept giving him salary raises of $+20bn a year! Talk about rewarding the perpetrator. Now they throw him under the bus -- and all because ratings are meh and another news source is about to scoop them. But mainly, as you say, to distract attention from the real clean-out which needs to be done -- behind the scenes and among the exec pool.

Edited by Cat