• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator

Directors Guild Nominations

Greta Gerwig (Barbie), Yorgos Lanthimos (Poor Things), Christopher Nolan (Oppenheimer), Alexander Payne (The Holdovers),  Martin Scorsese (Killers of the Flower Moon).

• Administrator

Producers Guild Awards nominations:

• “American Fiction” (MGM)
  • “Anatomy of a Fall” (Neon)
  • “Barbie” (Warner Bros.)
  • “The Holdovers” (Focus Features)
  • “Killers of the Flower Moon” (Apple Original Films/Paramount Pictures)
  • “Maestro” (Netflix)
  • “Oppenheimer” (Universal Pictures)
  • “Past Lives” (A24)
  • “Poor Things” (Searchlight Pictures)
  • “The Zone of Interest” (A24)

• Members

Emma Stone is already doing the “I don’t want this—Lily deserves it” routine that Cate Blanchett did last year when she collected a few of the precursors before Michelle Yeoh ultimately won:

I do wonder, though: EEAAO was a juggernaut that got two other acting Oscars and I doubt KOTFM will have the same force.

• Members

I think Lily and Cillian will win, because Oppenheimer has the momentum you mentioned and I'm not sure that the respect and love a lot of people seem to have for Paul is enough. (there will also be building backlash against Alexander Payne, even if the Oscars usually don't care about that type of thing)

Lily is the opposite - she's a prize they can give out to a movie that likely won't be getting any others. She's also a way they can pat themselves on the back. I guess it also depends on how divisive Poor Things is or whether people will feel the "she has had her turn" mentality as much with Emma (as she's only won one, not two like Cate).

• Members

If both "Barbie" and "Oppenheimer" score Oscar nominations, then I hope whoever writes and produces the Oscars this year will do a sketch imagining what it would be like if "Barbie" had been filmed like "Oppenheimer" and vice versa.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I really don't get it. Saltburn is just pop fluff. It's fun to watch, beautiful people, gorgeous scenery and viral moments, but ultimately it is vapid empty calories. What is the Academy hook? Are people just enjoying hooting at it over the holidays?

Edited by Vee

• Members

I can only assume Emerald Fennell is well liked (or has good connections) and it being British means it gets more support than American films along the same lines (although Glass Onion did get an Adapted Screenplay nod). It's also one of those "we're saying something...well not really," movies some voters love, like Crash or Green Book.

Rosamund Pike is a gem but I would probably go for Carey Mulligan in Support over her (and take Carey out of Lead for Maestro). 

I would give Archie Madekwe a supporting actor nomination but there are already people even more deserving like Charles Melton who are going to be shut out anyway.

Nothing about that screenplay deserves a nomination. They should invent a category for Barry Keoghan's ass before they give the screenplay any recognition.