Film Awards Thread

• Members

You are absolutely correct about this assertion. Promising Young Woman alone built up a reserve of awards goodwill. Hollywood is fickle though, so who knows how long this will last? Today’s Emerald Fennell may very well become tomorrow’s Diablo Cody, who although still doing work, is just no longer a film industry darling. I also think Fennell’s British-ness also tends to automatically elevate her creative ideas in the minds of the industry people.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Surprised that Margot Robbie didn’t get in for Best Actress but America Ferrera managed a Supporting Actress nod. I guess Best Actress was more competitive than people anticipated. Annette Bening is about to head into Glenn Close territory with unrewarded nominations.

• Members

It's pretty ridiculous that both Gerwig and Robbie got snubbed IMO (Gerwig was also snubbed for the equally excellent Little Women). And probably an angry response from the Academy's senior members.

Thrilled about Anatomy of a Fall, but this is dirty pool to me and we're probably going to see another round of anonymous ballots with grumpy Academy members bitching about wokeism or something re: Barbie. Never mind that it was the biggest movie of the year, and not exactly coasting on woke capital and tear-stained online social media posts (like other movies in recent past I could name).

The rumors today that Paul Thomas Anderson ghostwrote KOTFM are wild.

Edited by Vee

• Administrator

There's usually one or two surprise nominations and America Ferrera was it this year.  A bit disappointed about Margot but she was never going to win.  As a big Christopher Nolan, I hope he wins Best Director.  I know he's the favourite, but you never know.  Will feel more comfortable if he wins the DGA.  So according to these nominations, it's a three horse race for Best Picture: Oppenheimer, Anatomy of a Fall, and Poor Things. 

• Members

Given the complaints I've seen people make about the Killers screenplay, that's interesting. 

A few days ago, in one of the Oscars prediction videos, one of the 'experts' was talking about how Margot and Greta stood a good chance of not being nominated because the Oscar voters do not want to reward this type of film, they don't take this type of movie seriously. Given the history of the Academy, that would seem to be true. The nomination for Annette Bening is much more of what they want to see from actresses, along with that cookie cutter long-suffering wife role from Carey Mulligan.

I feel bad for America Ferrera as she's gotten so much backlash for her nomination, with people saying in one breath it's due to her being Latino and in another saying she's not Latino enough, saying it's just "woke" voters due to her speech, other people acting like it's an outrage that she got in compared to someone like Penelope Cruz or Rosamund Pike (who is certainly entertaining to watch but whose work in Saltburn I've seen too many times to count).

There was also a viral tweet saying she's just like Jamie Lee Curtis. It feels like people are just jumping on her as an easy target, even though she isn't even going to win.

I saw a tweet from Stephen King about how out of touch the Oscars were with the public, which confused me, as the most popular movies of last year got a lot of nominations. Maybe he's a big fan of Super Mario Brothers, GOTG3 or Wonka? 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I like America Ferrera, but it feels like a very condescending nom; like, 'oh, we'll give them something for the famous monologue'. It was a great scene and she did great. Do I think it needed a nomination, no, but that's the weird giveth and taketh mentality of the Academy.

• Members

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some sort of controversy surrounding America Ferrara when she still was on "Ugly Betty"?  Not anything to do with her personal life, per se, but just that she was polarizing for some reason.

• Members

She did a lot of campaigning during the voting period, and I guess also benefited from the category only having two sure nominations. I do wonder if part of their reason was strategic - people look worse when they decry the lack of nominations for Margot and Greta and don't mention her. It plays into "white feminism" discourse (not helped by Hillary tweeting today...).