• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
Posted (edited)

I heard so many complaints about Killers of the Flower Moon, especially with the script, and they just seemed to chip away at the wider view of the film. Lily is a good actress, but beyond the whole controversy over the category, most of the final debate over the movie or her award seemed to be:

- if you don't support Lily Gladstone you're a racist 

- be nice to Grandpa Scorsese who is so cute on tiktok 

Neither of those do much to sway Oscar voters. The first one in particular causes a lot of spite. 

(Scorsese these days seems to be more of a brand for himself than for people actually enjoying his films) 

I feel bad for Emma Stone as I don't think she wanted to win because of the optics, similar to Cate Blanchett last year. And I do wonder if these fears are going to cause more and more people to move away from the Oscars, because you don't get any real career boost but you do get a lot of years-long, dedicated hate from losers who cosplay as activists rather than actually bringing about any real change in the world (most of them are probably hoping Trump wins for "the revolution" or because "he's funny").

These same people will likely spit on Lily Gladstone in a month as she will be wearing the wrong brand, work with the wrong actor, use the wrong word, or go to the wrong store.

I didn't bother to watch this year, and after seeing a few clips of Jimmy Kimmel's usual condescending, anti-film monologue and the shambles of the Memoriam segment, I'm not sorry. They didn't even include Treat Williams, who was in a ton of films, or Suzanne Somers, who first became known through an iconic film clip.

No clips, no nominations. I saw a tweet saying the Oscars had finally managed to get rid of all "the old." If that was the point, I hope they're proud.

I did watch the I'm Just Ken clip. Ryan Gosling has always seemed ambivalent about the whole thing, but at heart he's a showman, and I'm glad he embraced that. A genuinely very fun performance. It was also so nice to see Scott Evans at the Oscars. Fish's revenge.

Edited by DRW50

• Members
Posted (edited)

I didn't think his last special was that great, but I still enjoy Mulaney. He also hosted the "these are all the old and boring people we don't care about anymore" Oscars ceremony a month or two ago and was very good. He is sarcastic but also clearly loves film, unlike the jiggly trampoline guy.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I enjoyed the Oscars for the most part and I am pretty happy with the awards given. I haven't seen all the movies, but out of those that I did see, they all received some recognition, so I am happy. 

I have loved Nolan for years and I think that he (along Denis Villeneuve) is one of the best directors today. So I am happy Nolan got it. I hope Villeneuve can follow next year

Please register in order to view this content

I adore Emma Stone, so I am happy she won. If Lily had won, I would have loved it too. She was probably my favorite part of Killers. But I don't think Emma should feel bad at all. She was giving a performance of her life in Poor Things.

RDJ and DJR winning for supporting was great, she gave a nice speech. There were some good speeches in general. I hate when people just list random names. There wasn't much of that this year. I loved Cord Jefferson encouraging studios to do 20 10k movies instead of one 200k movie per year. I enjoyed Hoyte van Hoytema encouraging filmmakers to film more on film. Ukrainian speech was sad. I was happy for the Japanese Godzilla team. 

I enjoyed Jimmy Kimmel's opening monologue, but I thought it was too much to joke about RDJ's cocaine addiction. 

I LOOOVED I'm just Ken performance, even though I am not a fan of the song in general. But Ryan is so awesome and the whole productions of the performance was so fun. 

I think the idea of 5 people presenting each nominated actor instead of the acting reels can be interesting, but only if the actors presenting are really friends of the nominated actor and can say something personal and touching. Which did happen (or at least that's what appeared to me) in some cases. However most of them seemed to be reading text from the teleprompter and that was boring. 

The "In Memoriam" was not one well. I could not even see the people being honored, because they had such a wide shot of the stage to show off the dancers. In Memoriam should be on our screen, not the screens in the arena. And we don't need dancers to distract. You can bring someone to sing, but that's it.

But all in all I had fun