Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

ALL of Katherine's relatives belong in that mansion.

Temporarily if they're only in GC for a visit or permanently if they need somewhere to stay (or just want to be close to Katherine).

Which is exactly what Katherine would've wanted.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was especially prevalent when Victor left Victoria's to return to the ranch.

He'd *just* left his daughter's house where he welcomed a grandson back to GC only to run into another grandson who had been hanging out with his grandmother who herself had just finished talking to her daughter-in-law & their granddaughter.

Meanwhile Y&R won't even let Paul buy a proper wig for his crazy sister.

• Members

I didn't see it as Mariah propping. Lily was actually right in this one case that Hillary shouldn't blame Mariah and instead needs to blame herself. Sure Mariah isn't innocent in all of it but that was actually the one part I didn't take issue with. And yes, Lily is always childish. It's getting tired.

And LOL at "whack-a-mole" Newman style. So true. So many of them.

• Members

I would to see at least ONE person come for Mariah, like everyone has come for Hilary.  I like Mariah.  But in this particular story, Devon would have never gotten in that car like he did had she not fuckd with the teleprompter.  Right?

Why isn't there someone, other than Hilary, that is calling her out on it?  It comes across as lopsided/propping/whatever you wanna call it.  They are both culpable.

• Members

So Victor hasn't seen Reed in years? Give me a break - they were in DC not China. And, of course, there's no such thing as FaceTime, etc. Couldn't they have just had Victor recognize him and not this 'it's been years.' That is a bit insulting for character with unending wealth. 

MM - loving it that she's getting a range of material. And I have a feeling there will be blowback to Mariah - notice when Roz questioned 'what scandal' - the unrealistic notion that nobody at GC Buzz knows what happened NYE - even though it was 'trending' and GC Buzz is supposedly on the pulse of gossip. That was just weird. Regardless, I liked the Mariah/Hilary scenes at the hospital. Even though it was forced, at least the Hilary/Mariah rivalry is giving us some action and story. And the writers really need to move past Lily being a one-note ripping machine - though if it were any other sister (Ashley, Victoria), they would rage the same way to say Phyllis or Sharon. 

• Members

Mariah never would have done what she did with the teleprompter had Hillary not tripped her. So, I mean, I love Hillary but it was one big domino effect. I don't think one's better than the other. This "feud" never should have happened anyway.

Can the editors start picking better ways to lead into the opening credits? I feel like it's always so anti-climatic.

On Wednesday's episode ...

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Who said Kay’s relatives couldn’t visit? I was just choosing Phillip 3 & Chance as the characters I’d like to see return for good and move in permanently.  It’s not all about Katherine.  Their mother/grandmother Jill lives there, and it was a past home. They both lived in the mansion for a while.  Phillip II married Jill on his deathbed to provide for Jill & his heir. Jill has as much history & connection to that house as Katherine. The only difference was Katherine kept control of, at least half of it, legally. That’s over now.

I doubt Mac will return for a visit, or to live, if they didn’t even have her come for her grandma’s funeral. And if she returned for good, they’d have to bring the whole family, unless she gets a divorce. I doubt they’d bring 4 characters to town at once, but I’m sure Jill would love it if they came to her house. I’m sure Jill would love for Brock to move in too, but since BK is gone we know that won’t be happening either.

Tucker has no affection for that home, he rarely visited when he lived in town. If anything, he had a resentment towards it. Can’t see him wanting to stay there even if Jill asked him to. He’d want to stay at the GCAC so he could do his thing....... screw random women and humiliate them after he’s done. He not a Reynolds or a Chancellor, he has no emotional or historical attachment to the mansion, or any of Kay’s other relatives or loved ones. It was all about him when he was in GC. Unless they’re re-casting and totally re-working Tucker as a love interest for Jill why would he ever go to the mansion?

I know one thing Katherine would’ve not wanted, is her estate to be divided the way it was. Katherine cheated Mac, Dylan, Brock, Phillip III, and Chance out of a fair share of the inheritance. Didn't even mention Dylan. She would never have done that, especially without explanation. And the necklace and jewelry box? That was so stupid. I really hope they rework Kay’s ending somehow. It didn’t do Katherine right.

• Members

I'm behind after being bedridden with a cold, but I just watched the New Year's Eve episode and just wanted to say, apropos of some British soap discussion around here of late, that the montage at the end with everyone celebrating the new year had one touch that was both pure cinema and straight out of the UK soap operas.

The hard, abrupt cut amidst the party and celebrating, to Chelsea alone in her penthouse in dead silence, looking at the picture of Adam with the insert of his picture and then just sitting there thoughtfully - then jump-cutting back to the Newman Towers revelry mid-stream without worrying about making the edit perfect - was straight out of how the British soaps do it, and how some films do. They're not afraid of those kind of hard cuts or of going from major noise to total silence, and just sitting with the silent character note without adding something. It makes you have to watch the show to see what they're doing, because nobody is just talking because they can.

That was really well-done, it reminded me of my years watching Eastenders. Just waited to put that out there, even if this is the January thread. Good episode, BTW. Devon's stock rock music was awful though.

• Members

Mishael is doing an excellent job with this material. It's very rudimentary anyway. She's elevating what would otherwise be surface writing. While the story is on everyday, the show seems only invested in Hilary's POV, which has been simplified down to "I love you, I need you, wake up". I'm thinking that the entire point of this is to show us that Hilary is madly in love with devon. And that when choices must be made, Devon will come first (before her career, fame, money, etc.). Beyond that, nothing else is in the narrative.   

I was a bit disappointed when Neil and Lily sat down at Devon's bedside and all they could speak about was wanting Hevon's marriage to end. Devon and Lily have lost a mutual mother and lily has been through a lot that Devon supported her through. The dialogue should have been about her relationship with her brother. Neil should have spoken about how their relationship had been strained and his regrets. Nope.  Y&R continues to fail the Winters family as a whole. 

But don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this immensely.   

Are they going to pair Devon and Mariah? She got a bigger POV than Lily and Neil. Or is it just that Hilary and Mariah are their two young female leads and they are writing to that? 

Reed looks just like AH and tall like TL. He's also likable. But I don't get his purpose right now. Seems a waste. 

Faith is way too developed as a character on a soap to be under 10. I'll leave it at that. 

Cause it is lopsided propping. Only person who came for Mariah was Sharon and it was with love. Everyone is shitting on Hilary. Everyone. It's ridiculous. 

But IMO, neither is to blame. Devon was the idiot who got in that car and sped in snow. It's 100% on him. But if folks want to blame Hilary then Mariah is equally as responsible. 

Much more plausible. They should tie it in with the other companies buying ad spots. 

• Members

I'm hopeful the story will have Mariah remorseful or questioning her role in this accident.  Actually, I believe there's a lot of story that could be launched from this, rather easily.

Legal liability for the Winters/Abbott Foundation would provide a story for Neil.  He's conflicted between a son he loves and his professional life.   Lily should naturally be questioning her role in this, adding fuel to the fire for attacking Hilary that added to Devon's accident.  

And just throwing this out there, who gave the keys to Devon?  Did we even see that?  What if it were Ashley?  That could give ED something good to play.

Just saying.  But you are absolutely right, we're only getting Hil's pov right now.

• Members

Right, but I think people are coming at Hillary more because she's lied and manipulated Devon so many times. Also, Devon is the person most culpable in this situation.  I don't care what anyone does to you, you don't get in your car and drive 140 mile an hour.  That's as bad as drunk driving. He could have easily killed himself or someone else.  What Mariah did was wrong, but there is no way she could have ever predicted Devon would be physically hurt. I'd say what Sharon said to her was just right. She went into quite a bit of depth about how Mariah was wrong and why.

I wonder if we are to think that Mac had another child? Dylan would be what 3 now? Even two wouldn't be considered a "new baby".

Archived