Y&R January 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The goal would be to organically rehab characters without having them overemphasize past regime's mistakes.

So there would be acknowledgement that there's bad blood between Neil & Devon, that Hevon is not on equal footing, that Lily has no life outside of Cane.

Having the family confront the horrible things they've done to each other works as long as love remains the emotional thoroughline. Otherwise the family reaches the point of no return because the characters are written into corners (like they are now).

• Members

The problem with the GC Buzz scenario is what Darn pointed out earlier. That Y&R has placed one of the only actresses of color on the show (who is already disliked by half of the town) into a position where she's alienating the other half of the town with no remorse for her actions. It was gross when it happened to Dru & it's gross now.

By adding Leanna whose character has spent the better part of 30 years working in the media and is connected to most of the vets you instantly solve the problem.

Plus Leanna provides Hilary and Mariah with a shared enemy (who can also teach them very hard won lessons) instead of pitting them against each other in a "feud" that never worked.

• Members

I think the mariah/Hilary rivalry worked to perfection as far as the show is concerned. They got exactly what it was designed to give them. A young, popular, beloved, rootable, white female lead. They've been chasing that for years with Summer and Abby. They finally got it with Mariah. 

That'd make too much sense. 

• Members

The reason it worked is because unlike with Summer and Abby, they didn't have to try.

The show has been keeping Mariah in the background for years to push the blondes, but the character is solid and CG's performance has always been excellent. It was an easy success once someone decided to actually showcase her.

• Members

THANK YOU.

And to add to everything you've said, Neil should be pointing out to an unconscious Devon, that 10 years ago it was *Neil* lying in that bed with Devon blaming himself for Neil's condition to the point of attempting to run away (again) with Neil (once he regained consciousness) doing everything in his power to remind Devon that Neil forgave him, loved him & fully accepted him as his son.

The same with Lily. She should be reminding her brother that from the time he joined their family he's always been her protector & had her best interests at heart. That no matter what horrible things her boyfriends and husbands have put her through, Devon has always stood by her side. And that their mother would expect them to be there for each other because family is everything.

But that would require good writing for Kristoff and Christel to actually act, so it will never happen.

When I say equal footing I mean mentally & emotionally.

Where they're in a relationship as a team and not because Devon's trying to placate Hilary or Hilary's trying to control Devon. The kind of relationship where they communicate as adults without ulterior motives.

Dylan is five now & there's been no mention of Mackenzie being pregnant again which is why I was confused about Reed whining about playing second fiddle to the "new baby."

• Members

That was what I was expecting when Neil and Lily walked into the room. They got all of 30 seconds at devon's bedside. And spoke of nothing but Hilary and their hopes of Devon divorcing her. It was absurd. The show is clearly not interested in Winters or their relationships with each other. They are interested in fixing Hilary's relationship with Devon and showing she has a heart. That's it. That's all. 

And then another part of me thought this was an attempt to throw them under the bus for Hilary. Especially when their talk caused devon's convulsions. 

I see what you mean about equal footing. I don't think the show wants Hevon to be that way. They seemed designed in the mold of Billy and Vikki or Chelsea and Adam with Hilary playing the role of Billy and Adam. They'll have small periods of time where they are together happy until Hilary screws up and devon leaves her with her making it up to him to begin the cycle again. 

• Members

They could've just had Victor say to Reed something like "My my, the last time I was you...you were like this..." (places his hand down low to indicate the lack of height)  or "...the last time I saw you, Reed, you were knee high to a grasshopper".  Neither of those would've been lies.

A week and a half ago, I mentioned that the Newmans, especially Victor, were on too often. Even though they've introduced Reed and I think the actor is doing well so far, that still doesn't change my opinion that the Newmans need to take a backseat to other storylines (maybe we see occasionally see Noah with Mariah since she's involved in the GC Buzz storyline). They can intersperse scenes with Reed here and there but too often soaps hammer us with overexposure to a new character, which can lead to resentment, so they can be more sparing of Reed's appearances for now.

It's time for Lauren's business storyline to take off in earnest. I understand that people feel SS and KA are trying to stretch as much as possible so it won't end too quickly but the storyline hasn't truly launched it- it still feels like it's still grounded and has yet to take off, for the most part. We need an inciting incident to launch the storyline as the A storyline and it still feels like a C storyline. Maybe that'll change but from tomorrow's preview, it doesn't yet look that way.

Funny, people are talking about Leanna Love. I mentioned her months ago. It would've been even more effective (and oh, so satisfying!) had Love arrived on the scene to help serve Victor some sort of comeuppance when he was being particularly unbearable.  I also mentioned that she was the only adult character that I think could've realistically run GC Buzz with the sort of heft that would've made it a realistic gossip magazine but it sort of seems too late at this point. The show seems invested in GC Buzz being the vehicle by which Hillary and Mariah's rivalry plays itself out. 

Also, it struck me as simply weird that while Lily's crying her eyes out, she never mentioned feelings of past loss. I guess somehow no one on this show is allowed to utter the "D" word, but it would've felt wholly appropriate that Lily would feel wrecked over the possibility of losing another loved one, after the loss of her Mother.

• Members

WOW. 10 PAGES ALREADY. LOL!!!

Still reading through December and felt that since people keep mentioning SS's intereview, it should also be mentioned that did she not say that she was taking the six month approach to the current canvas...seeing what works, what doesn't, what can be salvage? I remember reading in an interview by her for sure and liked it because it brings us all back to HOW TO WRITE FOR A SOAP...those guidelines for waaaay back then. And from what I've seen...that's what she is doing..probably why people are now liking Dylan now because he is being allowed to breathe...so to speak...without it being all about him.

I bet in another few months, there will be exits, enters, etc.

Archived