Y&R: March 2016 Discussion Thread

• Members

It's pretty shitty of them to get rid of the Chancellor set.  UpChuck and JFP have no apparent desire to write for the family but the set should remain.  Why not have Billy buy Brad's old place?  Move back to the guest house/pool house on the Abbott's property?  Why Katherine's home?  Like everything else on this show, it makes no sense.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Has that been confirmed though? I know Jess is recurring and doesn't appear often, but has anyone at the show confirmed they've gotten rid of the set? 

Judith Chapman doesn't even work there anymore and seems pissed because they don't want her back, so I wonder how reliable she is. 

• Members

As ridiculous as the courtroom set up was on today's show, I have to give it up to Eric Braeden for his soapy tour de force performance.  Victor ruthlessly threw each of  his family members under the bus as he struggled to get himself acquitted while acting as his own lawyer.  It was pretty great.  LOL at Phyllis seething in the background.  I thought her head was going to explode and I don't even know what she's mad about.  Also the new Billy is not terrible from what I can see.  At least he looks like Jack's brother.

• Members

It's what happens when the budget starts to shrink.  I've already noticed over the past couple of years the use of fewer and fewer extras for restaurants or bar scenes...there's often no one in there except the characters.  And every show starts moving the scenes to a hotel because the rooms can be practically interchangeable.  Less scenes in people's actual homes.  Really the only homes they show now are Sharon's and Chelsea/Adam's.   Only rarely did they show Victor's...and the Abbott's has gotten more rare.  Their demos are way down and it's eventually going to hit their pocket and this is the first thing they trim. 

• Members

ITA. EB was great. I loved him calling out Nikki's vodka breath. Of course, the whole line of questioning was totally out of bounds when it comes to the law, but it was worth seeing Victor rip all those ingrates - they ALL have gained because of what he has done. And, yes, even though he wanted to blow Sharon out of the water, he did bring Phyllis out of the coma. I thought the writers did a very good job of letting EB show Victor's complexity, inconsistencies and, finally, his humanity. Sorry, but I always well-up when EB talks about Victor being in the orphanage. Bell was brilliant when he created that backstory 30 years ago.

• Members

Eric's acting could not save the bad writing.  Nothing makes sense with the entire storyline.  Again today with the - he needed to save his company from the "PARAGONNNNN VIRUSSSSS!"  He had already replaced Jack with Yack and engineered corporate fraud before ANY of it happened.  And the argument that he saved Phyllis.  For what?  So you could torture the living hell out of her and Jack?  The writing is horrible and his acting is not great either. Again, I've said it before, but a couple of weeks ago, when Summer mentioned to him about her Mother...and Victor says...."you see, I hoped your Mother would figure OUT that she was with an imposter.  I never MEANT for this to happen!"  It's so STUPID.  I guess they think people are paying NO attention. 

And I remember a few weeks ago someone saying something about - it was sad that the writers have done this to Victor - the character.  Because he was never this bad before, or never this evil.  I just laughed.  I guess I might have watched WAY too long.  Because I remember storylines in the late 70's or early 80's where Victor had married someone...Julia? Or Lorie?  I think it was Julia.  But he kept her locked away at his house (the RANCH), and then slept around with a few women around town.  Then locked her lover and (I don't remember...her with him, or was it just him?)?  But he locked him at least in the basement in a jail cell for almost a YEAR....sometimes offering him DOG FOOD or other rancid leftovers.  Nothing EVER happened to Victor for that.  He has always been a nasty, unlovable, gross excuse for a RAT.  Not even a human being.  So when people say - they got teary about his orphanage upbringing, sorry for him...sad for his life.  Whatever. 

• Members

I agree about the ridiculous story line, because Paragon wasn't started before Victor decided to replace Jack.  But now I have to say that it's the only soap (I don't watch Days) that is even remotely interesting to me.  

• Members

Yeah I have to agree, I hate how they decided to go with Paragon as Victor's defense...and I actually have been enjoying this "downfall", but I feel like it would have totally been too good to be true if they actually did bring up Victor wanting to merge the companies and Neil's part in forging the signature's, cause that would have made everyone agree that Victor's an evil monster who deserves to pay....yet we keep going back to this  paragon crap to somehow let Victor garner some weird "sympathy".....

I wanna hope, since I'm sort of in an disbelief still that they even went with Victor going on trial for this, that maybe everything else I mention above will come out someday, but I feel like at that point it will be too late and people won't bother to care anymore.....though I also hope Nick's gonna be piss when he finds out the truth about Sully and Victor blackmailing Adam with the knowledge that he's Sully's real father....(whether it's true or not)

• Members

Terrible episode. How many times do we have to hear about Victor's frickin orphanage? And in order to give Braeden his Emmy ep, D.A.  Christine sits like a complete idiot and never objects while Victor runs through all the sins of everyone's past. Disgusting.

Utter crap.

• Members

I'm still stuck on the fact that Victor used a Cassie doppelganger to stalk Sharon. Considering how close he himself was to Cassie, as well as his son Nick, this was proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for me. However like a majority of Victors sins, it was just simply brushed aside.

• Members

The Chancellor mansion may not have been cutting-edge design, but it was representative of how a lot of Old Money lived and still live -- chintzy, over-stuffed sofas and cushions, heavy drapes, patterned wallpaper, china figurines, an abundance of flowers. The staircase was a fabulous touch. I find it sad that some people defend Jill Farren Phelp's 'aesthetic' as "modern," "up-to-date" when in reality the new Chancellor set, the hotel bar, Chelsea's apartment etc., all look like something out of Ally McBeal circa 1998.

JFP doesn't have taste, and her aesthetic is from back when 'The Rachel' was the hairstyle du jour. In trying to modernise its sets and background music, Y&R has ended up looking (and sounding) horribly dated.

Oh, and Amelia Heinle still looks like a hot mess. Brush your hair!

Archived