Ratings from the 80's

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thank you @VanessaReardon once again. Always interesting to see the ups and downs, back in the day. How one week, the top rated soap is above a 10.0, yet there was a week where the No. 1 soap was only in the 7's, with everyone down across the board as well. It'd be interesting to know the reason, such as a day-long preemption that last lasted several days.  

During this time, looks like OLTL wasn't benefiting as much being sandwiched in between AMC and GH

Damn, that's a quick and unfair decline for Ryan's Hope. I'm guessing this is the same sort of thing that happened to Edge of Night back in '75 when they switched it from 4:30 to 2:30. 

And as previously discussed, it's funny as a long time soap fan and numbers nerd to have that "shocking" revelation that during GL's 3 weeks being "number one" in August 1984, they were just No. 1 in their timeslot beating GH, but Y&R was still the top show overall. Funny how that was reported incorrectly for years. I, too, have some old SOD's where they specifically mention in GL's timeline that they hit No. 1 in the ratings during that timeframe. Liars! 

Please register in order to view this content

I truly have nothing that supports GL as number 1 in 1984. I am a HUGE fan of what Gail Kobe and Pam Long did at GL so if they actually hit #1, I’d shout it out!!   What I DO have is a note from the GL Fan Club President at the time saying that GL beat GH for 3 weeks but Y&R was #1. And I do have my own personal interaction with Gail Kobe. Entertainment Tonight ran a story and interviewed Gail about beating GH for 3 weeks. The very next day after the ET story was the 1984 untelevised Daytime Emmys and I went to New York and stood outside the hotel with many other fans. I saw Gail Kobe and said to her “You’re #1!” She said “not yet, but we will be”. This is a true story. GL never hit #1, after that unfortunately. 

• Members

Because Patrick McNee died and I associate with the Avengers, the original ones with McNee and Diana Rigg, and some of us DOOL fans got our nicknames, like shallotpeel and garlicpeel, etc. from John Black & the jewel thief and I got misplaced and in the wrong thread. That's something that happens to me sometimes. I never do it on purpose.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Bull.  [!@#$%^&*].

You DO do it on purpose, Donna.  You ALWAYS do it on purpose.  Every. Single. Time.  Only THIS time, you have the audacity to hide behind Parkinson's Disease, of all things.

Your obnoxious behavior is what got you banned once upon a time from the GLBuzz board; and if there's still a God in Message Board Heaven, it'll get you banned from here, too.

• Members

I agree: I think that story is a myth. 

I am curious: what did you appreciate about the Long/Kobe tenure? Had you watched TGL before they arrived?

This may sound cynical, but I've always felt that GH was so weak in 1984 that some viewers switched over to TGL by default, LOL.

She does it for attention and yes, I am giving the mentally ill nutjob the attention she craves but it is just to call her out as a mentally ill person. She needs help. 

Oh yes, I watched GL before Kobe/Long. I think Kit Vested was the first story I remember. Kobe/Long to me revitalized the show. The 4 muskateers, Alexandra, Billy/Vanessa, Reva. I just loved it during their regime. 

• Members

Khan, I have to say that I'm disappointed in you. When I make an error, it's definitely not because I'm dong it on purpose. It's sad for people to think that. If I were making a mistake on purpose, I would own up to it. I just make mistakes sometimes & I try my best to make up for them. It's just very human. I'm sick and tired of some people calling me names. They don't have any business doing it! They should be ashamed of themselves. They should know how to behave better than that. I'm embarrassed for them that they treat people that way. And, I am certainly NOT bringing out any illness of mine and using it. I'm working hard at doing better here to get on with all of you. I like it here. I care about it. But, I'm still going to make mistakes. I'm just already making fewer of them.

• Members

I was unaware of the Parkinsons until yesterday. As I'm sure I don't need to tell you, Khan, or anyone, Parkinsons does not directly relate to cognitive or mental behavioral issues.

Side note - Don't think I've ever brought this up here: Two of the three careers in my lifetime: writing, and behavioral intervention therapy - basically that means identifying & targeting socially maladaptive actions, and creating a plan to teach more socially functional replacement behaviors. I think I tend to subconsciously analyze any communication that's difficult. But nothing on this board has ever pressed my behaviorist button like this has.

• Members

I didn't have any obnoxious behavior on the Buzz Board and I wasn't banned from it. I didn't like it and I left it. There were people at the Buzz Board that I just could not abide. My partner was the GL Editor at Soap Opera Digest and she didn't care for it either. So we both left it. I know other people who left it too. We didn't miss it.