Ratings from the 80's

• Members

CHiPS aired in the 3:00 PM timeslot from April-September 1982.  Fantasy- a combination American game show and human-interest show co-hosted by Peter Marshall and Leslie Uggams aired in the timeslot from September 1982 to October 1983.  It was replaced by The Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour from October 1983 to July 1984 when Santa Barbara debuted.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Actually, once shows went into syndication, they could be broadcast by affiliates of ANY network. In the 1970s, I watched reruns of Peyton Place on an NBC-owned station, even though PP had originally aired on ABC. The Big Valley (loved that show!) was on both a local CBS station and a local NBC affiliate in the late afternoons.

• Members

I think Robb may have been referring to reruns in the network timeslots - 10am - 4.30 pm

CBS ran Lucy,Dick Van Dyke, Andy Griffith,Beverly Hillbillies etc in the morning for years before they went into syndication.

ABC ran Brady Bunch,Happy Days, Bewitched, That Girl etc

NBC in the 70's and 80's reran Chico & The Man, Golden Girls, Diffrent Strokes etc

• Members

Well, that would make sense, but an NBC affiliate broadcast ABC's Peyton Place at 4:00 PM in my area, and (in a different year) a CBS affiliate reran ABC's The Big Valley also at 4:00 PM and an NBC-owned channel aired it at 5:00 PM. I remember this because I watched both TBVs back-to-back.

Maybe by then the networks had sold the 4:00 PM timeslot to local affiliates and let them broadcast anything they wanted from any syndicated source, however. I imagine that times still controlled by the networks might have only shown self-produced series.

Edited by vetsoapfan

I’ve started to dig up more detailed ratings info from 1984. For the week of July 30 to August 3, 1984 the rankings were as follows: AMC, GH, OLTL, Y&R, GL, ATWT, Days, Capitol, AW, SB and finally SFT. I don’t have the ratings numbers, just the ranking.
Loving, Ryan’s Hope and Edge were preempted because of the olympics and ABC aired 40 minute episodes of AMC, OLTL and GH from 1-3 pm. 

I’m going to suspend posting the Daytime TV magazine ratings because I have a better source and have found weekly ratings pretty much from 1985 on, with a few missing weeks. But in the meantime, to confuse everyone even more, I have found that the ratings posted in Daytime TV’s March 1987 issue were the actual ratings for week of August 25-29, 1986 and the April, 1987 issue showed the ratings from October 6-10, 1986. So the magazine was several months behind - even moreso than I thought. It will be much more clearer going forward for me to post clearly defined ratings -ratings for a specific week, instead of these were in Daytime TV but I don’t know which week they represent. Look forward to sharing this stuff that was in my basement. 

Please register in order to view this content