Paul Raven

Ratings from the 80's

12 hours ago, VanessaReardon said:

I found a gem that I forgotten I had. It pretty much confirms my belief that it was a myth that GL hit #1 in 1984. Yes, GL beat GH for 3 weeks, but GL was not the number 1 soap. 

ABCB4985-2792-43D2-B870-8DBE8A53D7C4.jpeg

Thanks - there’s so much more coming in the future months. I have tons of stuff in my basement that will flesh out the ratings. I hope to sort through that info during the winter and post it. I have many weeks of ratings from the mid 80’s onward that will fill in the gaps between the Daytime TV monthly ratings. 

I'm looking forward to all your ratings info!   Thanks for the above clipping too. :)   That finally puts to bed the "Guiding Light hit #1 in 1984" debate.  I love this site!

On 10/27/2019 at 11:42 PM, VanessaReardon said:

I found a gem that I forgotten I had. It pretty much confirms my belief that it was a myth that GL hit #1 in 1984. Yes, GL beat GH for 3 weeks, but GL was not the number 1 soap. 

ABCB4985-2792-43D2-B870-8DBE8A53D7C4.jpeg

Thanks - there’s so much more coming in the future months. I have tons of stuff in my basement that will flesh out the ratings. I hope to sort through that info during the winter and post it. I have many weeks of ratings from the mid 80’s onward that will fill in the gaps between the Daytime TV monthly ratings. 

Thanks for posting as always :)

3 hours ago, BetterForgotten said:

Even EON managed to beat the entire NBC lineup that weeks, wow.

And even then, they STILL lost more than half of their lead-in's audience. That's a HUGE drop, no surprise that they were being dropped like flies from affiliates the time, sadly. 

Poor DOCTORS.  The only shows doing worse than they were at that point were "Diff'rent Strokes" reruns.

Edited by Khan

I won’t bore you with the article but first week ratings for some of the soaps that debuted in the 80’s: Loving 4.9/18 (previously discussed here), Santa Barbara 3.2/12 for its first week, Bold & Beautiful 5.6/20 and Generations 3.1/11. Generations ranked 19 out of 23 daytime shows, and last of the soaps during its first week. 

I had no idea that primetime shows were shown in the afternoon. Was this the beginning of syndicating primetime shows?

Are the boards safe now? I am trying to ask this in a polite way.

10 minutes ago, chrisml said:

I had no idea that primetime shows were shown in the afternoon. Was this the beginning of syndicating primetime shows?

Are the boards safe now? I am trying to ask this in a polite way.

Reruns of primetime shows airing during daytime hours dates back to at least the 1950s. I believe they usually aired on the network that originally televised them. I remember watching The Brady Bunch in the mornings on ABC back in the seventies.

I'm hoping the boards are safe now! 

6 hours ago, VanessaReardon said:

Warning!! I might bombard this thread in the coming weeks. Found this clipping which apparently lists the daytime ratings for the full month of May, 1982. 

6F3D6377-A73C-4BA1-9255-8DF120C3D50E.jpeg

What seems to be missing here is whatever replaced Texas when it moved to 11:00 Eastern in April 1982. I believe it was repeats of CHiPS. Thanks for sharing this information. It's so informative and interesting to read.

Edited by robbwolff

8 minutes ago, slick jones said:

I think we're all tiptoe-ing around on that so far.

It has been a GREAT few days. Fingers crossed. 

Kinda something fun I came across from Feb 1989. I have no idea what time frame this captured but the source was Nielsen. 

FF67E3B0-B2A7-4057-A7B7-AD77599296FB.jpeg