Ratings from the 80's

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

So, if the January 1985 entry corresponds to (approximately) August 1984, that means that from March 1985 onward, we'll be able to track October 1984 and the effects of the Ryan's Hope/Loving rotation.

Look at Y&R pulling ahead there. Related to Victor & Nikki's wedding, I'm guessing. A harbinger of things to come.

• Members

So regarding these monthly 1984 ratings, what month did GL supposedly hit #1 at?

Interesting to see ATWT get to #3, I'm guess that must have been Whit McColl's murder and Fulton returning as Lisa. 

When Bell created B&B, he pretty much made the demand that the show get aired directly aired after Y&R. I wonder if Loving would have been a lot more successful had Nixon asked for the same. 

As for RH, oddly enough ABC let their #1 affiliate in the nation WPVI have a separate live 11:30 AM feed for RH, perhaps if ABC had just scheduled RH at 11:30 AM ET instead of 12ET it wouldn't have been pre-empited as much. 

• Members

The GOAT wedding was April 1984, and not long after the seeds were planted for the eternal feud and eternal triangle.

If Bill Bell didn't get the post-Y&R timeslot for B&B, do you think he would've taken both shows to another network?

Apparently during the 1985/1986 season, Mark Goodson demanded that CBS give Bob Eubanks's Card Sharks the pre-The Price is Right timeslot then occupied by Press Your Luck otherwise he'd take both TPiR and Card Sharks to another network so CBS caved as they didn't want to lose their #1 game show (I think TPiR was also CBS's top rated daytime program but I could be wrong). As we all know, Press Your Luck was sent to the 4 pm ET death slot in January 1986 where it remained until it was cancelled that September, thus CBS being the last network to program the 4 pm ET slot.

So during the 1980s CBS caved to Mark Goodson and Bill Bell but not to P&G. Imagine if CBS lost TPiR in 1986 and Y&R/B&B in 1987. I would guess their daytime division wouldn't survive past the 1990s. That 11 am-130 pm ET lineup of TPiR/local news/Y&R/B&B played a big part in CBS being the #1 daytime network.

Edited by kalbir