Maria Arena Bell on MM's firing and YR's "Problematic Storytelling Decisions"

• Members

Again, where did I say everyone felt like I do? And what exactly has JFP done for Jill? That stupid music box story that doesn't seem to be going anywhere? At least she had a love story and love triangle under MAB. Now JFP is bringing Colin back recycling a couple MAB has already used...how original.

JFP has done slightly better for the Winters...but not much. The blog storyline had potential but they bombed it.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed. Phyllis' unrepentant arrogant attitude coupled with her getting every last word and the response from residents was the last straw! I am nauseous just thinking about it. When JFP had Nina slapping Phyllis and her giving no retaliation or last word, I celebrated. It was clearly a new day where Phyllis would not be allowed to run roughshod over the entire canvas. Amen!

• Members

When you don't put any caveats (like, "my opinion" or "for me") then yeah, you are speaking for the general audience. Jill has more going on than the music box. And bringing back Colin was to make JW happy, I presume. This says that JFP cares about JW and what she wants. I appreciate that.

And a very unsatisfying outcome for some...further alienating many viewers.

• Members

No I wasn't speaking for everyone, I was replying to someone who said "the only reason people watched" meaning they were the ones who said people were tuning in not me.

And yes that's very smart to bring back a character that was part of a storyline hardly anyone liked (remember seeing almost everyone here and on other message boards hating on that Cane/Caleb/Colin storyline) just to appease one actress.

• Members

JFP could have changed the outcome but didn't. In fact that following Monday JFP was technically in charge when the case was dropped all of a sudden. Then she didn't even follow up on the Ricky storyline which still has unanswered questions. Paul has not had a good storyline that shows off his acting abilities since JFP took over.

• Members

One of MAB's worse traits; when she destroys something, she smashes it into pieces so it can never be put back together. She did this when she killed Brad and then, again when she killed Colleen. There was absolutely no reason for her to kill those long standing characters on screen in ways that make it near impossible for them to be brought back. If there is a soap hell, MAB belongs there along with the Bells whose nepotism got her incompetent ass the job and helped her keep it even she wrote Y&R into the ground. IMO, the show is can never been repaired.

• Members

Lots of people liked the Jill and Colin pairing even while hating the Moofia. I think they hated the moofia moreso because it made the Jill and Colin pairing less appealing than they actually hated the moofia story. Then the retcon of cane's murder didn't help. But that was just the perception I got. I don't consider Jess Walton, original cast, "just one actress". If it were anyone else I probably would agree. My bias is showing, I suppose.

• Members

Don't forget killing Hope off for no reason whatsoever, the Adam debacle, the DNA tangling and untangling with Katherine, Jill, and Cane and then bringing Phillip back from the dead with no storyline intended, making Ronan Nina's son (maybe there is still potential there), giving Patty Williams plastic surgery, giving Sheila made up relatives... all bastardizations of Bill Bell's great storylines.

• Members

They rewrote a lot of other things so that could have been rewritten as well. I highly doubt MABs plan was to abruptly have the case thrown out. Within JFP's first two days, the case was thrown out. JFP couldn't be bothered to fix MAB's mess and I knew then that she would be no better than, if not worse, than MAB.

Archived