Maria Arena Bell on MM's firing and YR's "Problematic Storytelling Decisions"

• Members

The problem with MAB is that she did the most damage to the show. While LML and JG were simply boring, they didn't damage the show's future per se, because the show revolved around forgettable characters (David Chow anyone?). With MAB, you had legacy characters being killed, children being SORASed pointlessly and storylines seeds planted carefully by Bill Bell over the years being harvested and flushed down the toilet. The show will probably never recover from that because no other writer would be able to build a future for this show. They barely manage to write one episode after the other.

That's why I think, if the show were to say the last few years had been a dream or the result of a mischevious plan by some cartoonish Stefano di Mera Villain I would be totally cool with it.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The LML days get way more reprieve now than they should. Because B*tch was in control solo for 6 months and it was absolutely terrible and no one on the show behaved into character by the time she was canned. Lord forbid what could have happened if she had stayed longer... Her production choices with music/editing/lighting were even worse than under JFP and the casting was just a nightmare.

• Members

You're right, I'd never campaign for her to return, not even in a million years. I just feel her time still left some room for recovery, especially considering what we've seen later. If she had stayed longer, I don't know what else she could have been capable of. ph34r.png

• Members

I actually think LML was the worst and was glad she left due to the writers strike. When JG took over the show was good. His first stint was better than his last stint under JFP.

Wasn't the reliquary storyine under LML? That's by far my least favorite storyline.

As far as permanent damage, I have to disagree. Y&R is still salvageable. But it won't be saved under the current regime.

• Members

I completely agree. MAB did irreparable damage to Y&R. No other producer post-Bell has come close to what she did. It was like she took glee in destroying Y&R. The show will never recover creatively. It is mostly now about riding it out to cancellation.

• Members

Now, if anyone could have been hired to play Patty Williams -- and not "Patty Jane" Williams, but an older and wiser Patty who gradually takes Mary's place as matriarch of the Williams family -- then it was Genie Francis. So, I won't say GF never should have been hired (and if I have said it in the past, then I retract that statement here and now). She was just stuck with the wrong character.

• Members

LML not only wrote everyone out of character but she massacred the show's tone, directing, lighting, style, music, look, everything. Once you change the show's tone, it is unrecognizable.

JG & MAB restored some of what would be considered classic Y&R traits, INITIALLY, which is why the beginning of MAB's tenure sort of, somewhat, worked.

Then MAB destroyed every single next generation character she could think of, in addition to several long-standing characters. But if only it was "just" that. MAB was the lethal combination of knowing the show's history and being unimaginative. Which means she looked into open threads brilliantly planted by Bell & Alden to find future stories, which were intended to create years and years (if not decades) of drama. Instead, she used up any open thread she could find in quick succession, hopelessly jumping from one to another, quickly resulting in eradicating SEVERAL stories that could potentially be used to steer the show back on track.

Which means that, even if some of the classic writers came back, they would have no next generation characters to work with and a lot of the storylines that could be revisited have already been spent.

No wonder the show is heavily depending on a bunch of semi-interesting newbies.

STILL, it was the Hack Bitch From Hell LML that decided to COMPLETELY change what Y&R was, from production to writing. It was she who fired almost everybody who wrote, produced and directed the show we knew. It was she who destabilized a dysfunctional but well-oiled machine. And it was she who left it desperate to be "fixed," which led to even more destruction.

The passage of time and the relative freshness of MAB's tenure make it seem that Queen MAB was worse but Lynn's Y&R was so unimaginably horrible, there are no words for it. The only difference was that she was kicked out before she could start getting even worse. MAB had the opportunity to fully develop her brand of horribleness.

• Members

It's a really hard comparison to make. LML scorched a lot of earth in a very short renure, but MAB's tenure was so prolonged.

The problem with both of their writing is that if any of it is to be undone, it will take more bad writing, more plastic surgery, people coming back from the dead even though their organs are in someone else, etc. I usually hate storylines about magical islands where everyone is really alive but I could almost accept it. Just re-set the show back to 2003 or so and bring back Alden/Smith.

I can tolerate JFP more because she's not screwing up the history quite as much. If she were fired tomorrow you could easily undo Dylan's paternity and bring Phyllis out of the coma. I disagreed with killing Delia though.

• Members

They need to undo Katherine's will. Her leaving Chancellor to Victor was extreme character rewrite and totally plot driven.

Every time I hear "Newman-Chancellor" I cringe, and Bill Bell and Jeanne Cooper roll over in their graves.

I have to cosign this.

• Members

You are absolutely right. There is NO way to fix this mess without jumping through several irrational hoops. How does one even bring Brad and Colleen back, for example, without writing an even more implausible story? I think that whole magical island thing has crossed many people's minds but, if Y&R ever goes there, it will destroy that last thread of dignity and reality that the show has left & there will be NO going back. Because, miraculously, the viewers still don't expect Y&R to do something like that, and it hasn't.
It's funny you mention resetting the show back to 2003. Back when LML was reigning supreme, I kept thinking about the "it was all a dream" scenario and how I would have been tempted, were I to write the show, to go back to 2003, before Jill & Katherine's great mother/daughter twist (note a heavy dose of sarcasm) and pick up from there. Of course, it would have been a disaster and I would have never gone there, and the viewers would balk. But it's funny I'm not the only one who's sort of dreamed about that.

For all the horrible mistakes JFP's made, her Y&R is the most solid Y&R since Smith (with the possible exception of JG's first HW term, but I can't be bothered to remember much about it except for Adam's introduction). Not that that says a lot but she hasn't presided over any stories that are actively hurting the show (yes, even Delia's death).

But there's still time....

• Members

I am so thankful those two have been spared. They could potentially be a life raft for the show.

Although Nate's black so they will never respect him or give him a big enough part & Scotty could too easily lead to more Sheila nonsense.

Archived