Y&R: December 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know if it was a matter of necessity... It was a good storyline & the show was so solid back then that killing off a Newman heir was sad but not really damaging.

They really were deathly dull initially. I didn't start caring for Tricia until that piece of sh!t Phillip was such a complete bitch to her that I just had to feel sorry for her. And, of course, when Tricia started descending into madness, it became a classic storyline.

Megan worked as a sort of preppy heroine that was willing to rebel and try new things once she and Tony started getting together. That's what I liked so much about her--she was willing to try new things and come out of her comfort zone; a touch of rebellion.

• Members

I hate women caving to men, or just the fact that Jill didn't leave on her own accord, it had to be Victor who instigated it (it was Jill's house too afterall). So more of a personal qualm. Though, the scenes with Jack made up for it.

I miss the Colonnade Room, but I can see why they can't use it anymore. It must have been incredibly expensive to use and probably took up a ton of studio space when used.

• Members

Same here. I really loved Megan & Tony. But everything before that: blah! Tricia was also ill-conceived but gained fire through that awful brat littlePhillip and Sabryn Genet really stepped it up during the psychosis.

Keith Dennisson was totally miscast. The tempKeith in 1999 from "Cast Away" was lightyears ahead of the original one and had smoldering chemistry with Jess Walton, yet they never used him afterwards. This family was really a lot of wasted potential yet had some fine moments in retrospect.

• Members

As much as I enjoyed this year's NYE episode, seeing that episode from 1998 really illustrates just how far down Y&R has had to descend in terms of budget. The Colonnade Room vs. The Athletic Club. Well, at least it wasn't outside in Chancellor Park or Neil's apartment.

Seriously, it was smart, though, to make the NYE episode take place with a slightly intimate setting. Whether or not Neil manages to drag Leslie down the aisle, staging the NYE party at the site of a private engagement party ensured that they wouldn't need extras. It would be sad to try to have a big swanky NYE party while it would be obvious that they couldn't afford the necessary extras to fill out the party.

• Members

Still, if they cut all the dead weight they currently have in the cast I bet they could afford a proper NYE celebration.

I can't help but wonder: have any members of the current writing team watched this episode? Has someone at CBS happened to catch it live? Who could possibly think that what we have now is better-- heck, even "more modern" -- than what we had in 1998? I just can't wrap my mind around this.

• Members

Exactly. There is NOTHING about the 1998 episode, aside from it not being shot in HD, that is in any way inferior or "less modern" than what we have now. There is NOTHING about Y&R in 2014 that is superior to Y&R in 1998, how that has gone unnoticed boggles my mind.

• Members

Tricia's descent into madness was a long, gradual process started by her plotting to get pregnant when she felt that Ryan was losing interest in her. Instead of having her have the baby, she ended up miscarrying the baby while she felt like she was being punished for her scheming. At the same time, she had taken over mothering her younger sister Megan when their mother died and what started as a legitimate concern about her sister dating Tony grew more irrational especially after the miscarriage. I remember she even kissed him as well (i believe it was NYE 1999(.. then 'accidently' ran him over with her SUV which caused him to die and eventually usher out Megan's character as well.

I think she ended up falling for Matt Clark, he drugged and raped her, then she went off the deep end when she realized who he was and drove them off a cliff together. Then I remember she spent time living in Victor's penthouse, she accused him of raping her and then decided to crash her ex husband Ryan's wedding to Victoria. After Ryan's accidently death, Tricia is committed and she sees an image of Matt Clark one last time before he 'leaves'. Not sure if that meant she was getting better, or if she had finally lost any grasp of reality.

If I recall correctly, it was a 2+ year process from early 1999 through November 2001. Plus, you had months of her trying to be a step-mother to Phillip for several months beforehand.

Nowadays, she would be psycho within a month.

Archived