GH50: October 2013 Discussion

• Members

Sorry epic fail to me. Yes great to see Ilene but RC's delia is not RH's Delia. Where os the schemer. Also it seemed IK was playing Roxy playing Delia

So today Tuesday Delia admits she had Ava BEFORE marrying Frank. Then says that neither parent raised Ava and gave her number to give to Kiki

BS

If U watch early RH episodes Maeve talked about how Delia basically became part of the family since she was a preteen. Dee left NYC in 84 and moved to LA Coming back two years later. So If Ava was born it had to be in this two years (84-86) and not before her son, John was Born.

Im sorry Ron & Frank stp taking iconic shows and fudging with the timetables to make GH story work

Why not hire IK as a new role who is Ava's mom.

I will be surprised to ever see IK as Dee back on GH again. This IMHO was a waste and a horrible way to ruin the bible of RH.

Claire Labine should slap both Ron & Frank in the face for doing this. Twice for Ron since claire hired him at OLTL in 1996. He threw Her & her soap under the bus and back uped again & again

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't mind him doing these little tributes; I think that part is sweet.

What I mind is when it seems like it's there to keep thumbing his nose about OLTL, which at least part of this Delia thing felt like to me. I can accept the large retcon about Delia because of who she is and because they at least said she had Ava before John, but it's a little bit distasteful given how very richly plotted and backgrounded RH was, in terms of those roots. What's more distasteful to me, though, is making scenes that should be about Delia and the Ryans into something about Roxy and John from OLTL. One joke would've been okay.

• Members

I'm not surprised at all. Most of these reactions are likely from people who watch GH for him and love GH for him. They will love anything he writes. The integrity of the shows he "honors," or if he even bothers to talk to the people whose creations he borrowed, is apparently irrelevant.

Has he said a word about whether he talked to Claire Labine? Does he care?

• Members

I hope he at least made the call. RH, while technically, yes, an ABC property, was an extremely personal project for Labine and Mayer.

I will dispute the claims that Labine gave Carlivati a job - to my knowledge, while she was instrumental in his learning the ropes as a staff writer, he was actually hired in 1996 while Michael Malone was still there. And I believe Malone has said so.

• Members

I actually met and had coffee with Mr. Carlivati recently in a Starbucks in Chelsea. He apparently lives on the same block as I do. He was writing out a goodbye card to Jean Passanante as it was her last day on his writing team. He mentioned that she did in fact give him his first real Soap job.

It was complety a random run-in, but I have seen him often at the same Starbucks in the morning.

• Members

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2009/12/claire-labine-answers-your-questions_26.html

John asks: Do you see yourself as having been a mentor to Ron Carlivati?

Claire Labine: What happened was, somebody I knew suggested he call me. And this very personable person called me up, explained he had been a lawyer, and what he really really really wanted to do was to be a writer on ONE LIFE TO LIVE. He knew he couldn’t start as a writer, but he would do anything, and did I have any suggestions? I said, “My first suggestion is that I put down the phone and call Jean Passanante because I happen to know they are looking for a writer’s assistant.” So I called Jean. She said, “We haven’t hired anybody and we’re desperate.” I said, “I have a lively candidate for you.” She said, “Send him over.”

So off he went, and they hired him in about two minutes. He’s very smart, he’s very personable, and he’s obviously very dedicated to the show. Then after we arrived, there he was, he was our writer’s assistant. He began writing spec scenes (scenes from the current outlines), and handing them to me and saying, “If you have a chance, tell me what you think of it.” Several scenes into this I thought, “Holy moly, we can get another writer’s assistant, why not see what he can do as a dialogue writer?”

That was where we left it. He was really enormously accomplished, had a terrific sense of humor, and his scripts were very lively. I never doubted that he would ultimately become the head writer of ONE LIFE TO LIVE. It was just one of those things that seemed inevitable. I don’t take much credit for mentoring anybody. If they fit in and hang out and share the fun then it almost always works out. I haven’t seen any of his headwriting stuff, I honestly and truly don’t know what’s going on [on the show]. I certainly am very fond of him as a person, and I greatly admired him as a script writer.

• Members

IIRC, Labine and Mayer sold RH in 1979 or 1980 to ABC because the show was becoming too expensive to produce entirely on their own.

As I wrote in my status update, I didn't get a "Delia vibe" or a "Roxy" one from IK. Instead, I got an IK vibe.

• Members

I think those are essentially my feelings. The Corinth stuff honestly wasn't bad--and Jacks at least has some ties to Corinth... I had much more issue with the PC vampire stuff partly as it seemed to suck up the show--one or two Halloween episodes with a "Is he a vampire" maybe, but... And now we are stuck with Rafe who Ron seems completely bored of him as he usually becomes. ANd I don't really have an issue with them retconning Delia's story--it's not something that even better writers (including Labine) wouldn't have done IMHO. But the way the scenes have been played and written is as you say. I mean, one quick wink -- sure, I guess there's no way to resist that for a writer, bt tokeep playing it--it's like a softer version of the whole Todd/Starr/John mess.

• Members

Could Delia have had a child before Johnno? Yes. Could that child have been fathered by someone else? Yes. Especially if it occurred one night, let's say, when Pat and Delia had had an argument, and Delia had sex with a guy (who turned out to be Jerome) in order to "punish" Pat. However, I have a hard time believing Delia would not at least have been tempted to pass off the child as Pat's in order to hide her ONS and keep her tied to the Ryans -- which, after all, seemed to be her whole reason for living. If she could have faked blindness in order to hold onto the guy, she could have pretended Ava was his daughter as well.

Archived