GH50: October 2013 Discussion

• Members

Delia-Roxy being Ava's mom is just pointless and random, especially if she's only going to be around for one more episode. Today's scenes were eye roll worthy with the comments about how Silas reminds her of "Johnny" (how subtle), asking if he's a cop, and at one point she made up some random word and Silas pointed out that it wasn't a real word (gee, where have we seen something like that before?). I really fail to see how resurrecting a Ryan's Hope character for 2 days and making her some new GH character's mom adds anything to the show.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dee was too immature to be a mother. I'm not the biggest fan of GH this year, but I didn't feel like she came off like Roxy. It felt like a rusty Delia to me. I liked the Ryan's Bar set and I thought she did a good job for not playing the role for so long. I need to see the full arc before I can make a full judgement though.

• Members

Well, of course not, he was her ticket to being accepted by the Ryan's. For a long time her whole motivation in life was to be a Ryan. That's why she tried to trick Patrick into thinking she was having his baby once Frank was done with her. She was that little girl who never got enough love from her own family and desperately wanted to be a part of the Ryan clan. That's what caused a huge rift in her first marriage to Roger. Not to mention everyone knew he was her kid, so how could she deny him?

I have no problem believing that Delia would have given a child up, if it suited her purposes. Especially, a non Ryan baby when she was a teen.

Not that I want Ava to be Delia's. I'm indifferent on that score, but I wouldn't see it as OOC one bit. Delia was still desperate for unconditional parental love in her 20's and 30's to be a parent herself, so I have no problem believing she couldn't handle it as a teen.

• Members
I'm surprised Ron doesn't have Heather just show up because Ryan's serves a great BLT.

I really don't know how I felt about the use of Delia today. I'm well aware of who Delia is, I watched nearly every episode SoapNet aired, so I don't exactly think it's totally out of who she is, but it's just unecessary. I see ZERO point in any of this, especially if it's just a quick appearance.

I saw Roxy. I just can't see Ilene as anything else at this point. She was SO different as Delia. Today was Roxy who could speak English correctly and wasn't a drunk. It was far from Dee but that was probably just a rusty Ilene. I think she could have done a better job. I did see Roxy, but it wasn't the worst ever and it was hardly the worst thing ever, but the whole set up was cheesy, IMO, it seemed like a standard script was used, the dropped coffee pot, John/Sam just sooo smart ... blah, it just wasn't very good. At least Kelly Monaco looks fantastic. Still.

And I still don't have any interest in Michael Easton trying to act. The scenes were just all so bad. And then Sam all deer in the headlights when John--Silas put her on the spot about her job. I loved that because I've never bought Sam as a PI. I really never buy her as anything. I think Kelly just plays everything so flat and blah she never actually SELLS much as an actress. I never remember thinking she was horrible.

My other problem is that I'm sure we all know Ron did all this as one of his 'clever nods' to prove how wonderful and amazing he is (gag me) and the fact that he probably couldn't use the name 'Roxy Balsom' so he inserted 'Delia Coleridge' instead.

It actually made me sad Ryan's Hope isn't even re-running anymore. Made me miss the show a ton.

• Members

It was explained in the dialogue today. Obrecht told her that. You didnt watch the episodes of Robin in the lab with Obrecht? She taunted Robin and told her that Sabrina was a manipulative cow that wormed her way into Patrick and Emma's lives. The only thing Britt said about Sabrina to Robin was that she and Patrick were engaged. She never badmouthed her.

How do you know that? When was Ava's age stated? Besides birthdates and ages are fluid on soaps and not set in stone. Your mention of Johnny's own timeline speaks volumes to that.

I kept wondering why that set was familiar. Another AMC set recycled on GH

• Members

Exactly. Bringing Delia back was pointless. There won't be a long story-arc or anything else. IMO, Delia, who is a beloved anti-heroine to long time ABC daytime fanatics, was used as a plot point and a name drop to prop Ron's character. They can't stand on their own, so he has to rewrite history and latch them to beloved characters.

Look, had he consulted Labine and shared his projections with her, I'd support it. I'm sure he didn't. And I didn't see Delia today. I saw Roxy. From what I've seen of Delia, she's a schemer and a social climber like Roxy, BUT Delia had this softness, vulnerability to her. Roxy was edgy, off her rocker, eccentric, and tough. I saw Roxy today.

At the end of the day, if you use another soap's character--a respectable, beloved one at that, please don't use them as a plot point. Hated it with Allison & Amber on YR/ATWT. I hate it in this instance too.

• Members

It was said on an early RH by Maeve Ryan that delia had been a fixture at the bar since a preteen and had yet to leave NYC. Delia finally left nYC for CA in 1984. She returned in 86. So Ava could have been born then and with aging would be younger than Delia's son, Jonny

• Members

I'm of two minds about it.

I liked that Ron began doing these little tributes to the "forgotten" ABC soaps like Loving, Ryan's Hope, etc. - the network has a rich history with so many, and so many have been forgotten. I didn't get to see enough of RH when it was on SN and I wish I could watch the whole run uninterrupted; I cherished the couple months I had. And I think he truly loves these soaps, that rich history, etc. But at the same time, Ron's made it clear more than once that he started drawing on the other shows because "certain other shows" (OLTL) were now unavailable to him. And that's kind of tacky. Especially when an appearance by a very beloved RH character is at least partially another way for Ron and his team to sneak in jibes at OLTL and its cast, which at this point, to me, come off less loving so much as "ha ha, we're still the OLTL team." I feel it's gotten kind of immature. But I felt it was the day Roger Howarth turned up as Franco and they had an extra screaming "Todd! Todd!" during the close-up on his face. I mean, give me a break. Get the [!@#$%^&*] over it: It's not like OLTL 2.0 was mounted in Canada or Puerto Rico or some remote, neutral island country staffed and cast entirely with non-union scab talent we've never heard of before, with Unemployed Woman A, B and C as Viki, Natalie and Dorian. It was full of people in front of and behind the camera who'd been with the show for years and years, Erika Slezak at the top of the list. Have a little respect for the show still being the show without you there.

If you want to honor RH, Loving, whatever, fine, honor them. And I can certainly buy Delia Reid hooking up with a mobster and getting in over her head, having a daughter, even if it would definitely get a little screwy with the timeline of that show. But a lot of it seemed to be so much more about Roxy and John McBain, and that, I feel, is a disservice to Ryan's Hope.

• Members

As much as I hate to say it... re-watching the scenes, it was clear that Ilene dropped the ball here. Maybe she had a hard time breaking out of the Roxy character? But, this Delia was nothing like the woman we saw on Ryan's Hope. Delia was very deliberate in her speech, and less flighty. Delia had a different type of roughness. It was tied more to her actually being vulnerable. It was a defense mechanism. This was the Rosy brand of vulnerability which was tied more to dependency on substances.

We can't blame Ron/Frank for this one... this balloon falling flat was all on Ms. Kristen.

Archived