GH: Week of May 27 Discussion

• Members

Exactly, and I don't think this Stavros rape thing will be any better (especially if Dante actually questions Lulu for sleeping with him as the preview implied.) Honestly with psycho Stavros-monster it becomes less a real life issue, than something similar to Mitch and Jessica on OLTL (though I suppose there nobody questioned Jessica's culpability). I don't mind these over the top cartoony storylines on soaps within reason--especially in the case of GH they're part of its history but then adding rape to it just is... blah.

But the fact that any fan, let alone SID would compare it to the Cassandra story (and seem to think that fans who are against it don't realize the Cass situation involved forced sex--ie rape) is... well I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's just so pointless.

Of course he raped her, or at least came close, because of course that's the obvious, cheap, titillating thing. And of course we're just going to do it all over again.

It would be one thing if it was done by itself, in and of itself - taken in isolation from all the other material Ron's done, Stavros would certainly have tried to rape her. But Ron Carlivati has done story upon story like this with rape and sexual assault, with the exact same plot point, and now he's brought back Franco to be shined up at the same time. It's just so sad and tiresome and disgusting.

• Members

I liked the reveal in today's episode. I don't mind that they are acting like the actors look alike, it's a soap. We didn't get an onscreen explanation for every recast that looks different. I don't think making him Franco is smart, but I really liked everyone being gathered and the drama that played out today. It's bad writing and lazy tho to make him Franco and remove every bad thing he did just to make him a viable character for romances. I'm actually kinda surprised because its not like RC has an issue with rapists being leading men, even being paired with their victims.

The lulu thing I don't think will pan out. That she was raped or slept with or anything like that with Starvos. She just thinks it for right now. It's was horrible writing tho to bring it up in the same episode as two other rapes are being addressed.

So far I really think KA/kiki is the best of the oltlers returns. Silas is just a waste of time and ME should have been brought on as Caleb. RH as Franco will provide short term story, but long term I think they shoulda made him someone else.

• Members

I admit, those big stormy, everyone gathered for a shocking reveal moments are one of my favorite soap cliches. I guess the fact that we already sorta though the was Franco, all the "look I really didn't do all those bad things" moments and clunky dialogue ruined that for me.

• Members

The problem is RC's almost always good at doing event days. But he has no ability to do long-term story properly anymore, and no sense of what is too much for any character or for the audience. Case in point: Franco, and the two other new characters.

Comparing it to my daily dose of AMC or OLTL, which, even when they're sometimes slow are just more grounded and IMO focused, and easier-going, it's like, really, you don't have to try this hard to put this over.

• Members

Absolutely. I think some of the more obsessed RC fans are really into that--just when they're starting to complain that his writing is directionless (if they ever get to that point) BAM he throws in some big event or reveal. Unfortunately the fall out from such episodes often is weak or completely missing.

• Members

Seeing Twitter fallout with people saying oh, well, RC didn't write those Franco storylines - great, that's not the [!@#$%^&*] point. Let's not pretend it is.

And don't bother waiting, because we know his public defense in the press will be, as it always is, what Franco offers to story - a Quartermaine heir with a dark history played by a talented actor. And that is worth mentioning, and in a pinch Howarth could either play the "real" Franco (which is a deeply stupid idea, but viable, unlike this) or play Franco for a short arc. But Franco long-term - no matter the pedigree or the actor - does not work long-term. Not anymore. Not almost since the character's inception. He is a serial killer and a man who masterminded at least one rape. It doesn't work and coupled with a slew of rape/murder retcons and excuses for the character - oh, I didn't mean it like that; oh, I didn't really do it - amidst a slew of other rape apologies from RC, it's just stupid, sad and disgusting.

There's a point when you have to say, enough. Stop twisting yourself into knots saying it's all okay because this character is a Quartermaine or is played by RH or has such possibility. You've done at least four other rape-related stories and done the unthinkable with numerous other irredeemable characters. Just stop making the excuses.

• Members

So today's episode featured

1. Sam's rape.

2. Lulu's rape.

3. Michael's rape.

rolleyes.gif

I see Ron is already trying to redeem Franco and make him a viable character. rolleyes.gif Can't wait to see how they rewrite Michael's rape tomorrow. rolleyes.gif

C7RTnqY.gif

I had to laugh at the Maxie/Franco interaction. Can you imagine RH and KSt together?! mellow.png

• Members
What bothers me about this is it didn't all need to be done to make him a viable character. Franco can be a bad guy, a vilian. It's ok. They don't need to be redeemed or anything. I am sure they will just reveal Franco didn't have Michael raped, that just happened. They can't really undo his rape. Well they could but I hope they don't. I don't mind SAMs being undone cuz she was just told it happened and it was all about Jason. But both of these plus lulu story was to much at once.

I thought KS/RH played their scenes well. I loved how Maxie said she only slept with him cuz he was famous, it was very in character of her at the time.

I'm really loving KA this time around. I know it's in here to absolutely hate her, but of the oltlers she just works the best. In tems of her character, age range, who she's in story with. Kiki feels like a character the show came up with for story while Silas and nuFranco feel more like they were solely done for the actors.

• Members

KA is already basically playing Starr again. Same over-emotive reactions and interplay. There's nothing else there. Except the hair. I've already lost interest.

Oh, and she's not the heir because otherwise she couldn't !@#$%^&*] Michael. So the whole thing is doubly pointless.

• Members
That's bad acting tho, not a bad character. I don't think she's bad tho and don't see her as Starr. I don't see ME as John either, but Silas just seems to be there and is pointless. So far RH is playing Todd, but he's just one of those actors who always plays the same character. Oltl, Dawson's creek, ATWT, ioltl, gh, gh again all is the exact same.

Honestly though, did you ever have interest about this to lose tho? (KA, specifically).

Archived