Unpopular Opinions Thread: 2013 Edition

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cursing and ass shots doesn't make a show any more "edgy" to me. And the idea I've seen elsewhere that it will grab new young viewers, yeah not so sure about that.

But more important how can the "pilot" be the best thing you've ever watched? Most show pilots suck and soaps take at least a month to find proper footing.

• Members

But you can't call these first episodes "pilots." They're just re-staring shows that are already 40+ years old and have that much history. It's COMPLETELY different from an actual soap pilot. For the fans of AMC and OLTL, it's like coming home again.

• Members

IMO, all this pearl-clutching and sermonizing over language that is overheard in everyday life is laughable (to say the least). I, for one, am glad that these shows are making an actual attempt to move forward into the 21st century by writing dialogue that is true to life.

• Members

Word. The cursing and the nudity doesn't thrill me. That just shows that they're trying way too hard. And all of these comments about this being the best thing they've ever watched? Please.

I would count the first episode of these reboots as a pilot. Yes, most pilots suck. Some are good, but then they fall off after that. I could see that happening with these shows.

• Members

Well I'm enjoying AMC but I'm hardly calling it the best thing ever. This board has a tendency towards hyperbole and groupthink. That said, I wish people would stop freaking out about the language and "nudity." I'm genuinely surprised by the level of prudishness I've seen ever since it was announced that these shows would have looser standards. So far there's nothing on the PP shows that is very different from what you can see on plenty of basic cable shows and telenovelas. That doesn't make them edgy but it does make them competitive, which soaps haven't been for a long time.

• Members

No offense, but I'm never down with a homecoming that includes blow jobs, curse words, and Eric Nelsen's pasty white ass. I didn't want it at my RL homecoming, and I don't want it at my soap one.

Meanwhile, count me among those who aren't thrilled with the "new" and "improved" AMC. As I said on the Tuesday thread, I watched the first 1.5 episodes, and even that was much for me to take. I don't know what's going on with OLTL since the strobe lights and loud music blaring from Shelter sent me into convulsions, but all I see on AMC is what I saw on ABC, only faster.

• Members

I started out thinking of these shows as "pilots" but now I'm looking at the entire first taping session as something similar to the previews for a play. Bugs get worked out, changes get made, everybody accepts that it's still a work in progress. I can't help it. For so long I thought real evolution would never come to this genre so I'm 100% into the experiment. I'm fascinated by all of it, the good (over 40 adults being treated like real sexual beings) and the bad (Lucy gets a job and moves cross country.)

• Members

Just curious--who DID say they were the best soap they've ever watched? I've read some hyperbole, for sure, but it's more on the lines of "I'm enjoying these much more than any of the current network soaps." And to be sure, of course part of that is excitement that these are new--I don't think anyone would deny it.

What comments, again?

• Members

But you haven't enjoyed AMC since 1991 or so you said. I mean--I guess it's back to my old argument with you--I'm reallynot sure you in particular would have been thrilled with anything they put on tv. '

Imust have missed Nelsen's ass, but I think anyone who does want soaps to live on--has to see that some updating is required--I hate to use this term, but they ahve to have some relevence to "real life" and things have changed--while soaps standards have largely remained the same since the 70s. I am not saying PP is doing it right or even well, when it comes to this argument--but the reverse argument makes no sense to me.

Archived