Unpopular Opinions Thread: 2013 Edition

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

nu-AMC and OLTL are not all that. I suppose they're better than they were under the ABCD spell. But still. Sorry to be a naysayer, but I can't believe they came up with these stories. There's a long way to go before the re-invention of soaps.

• Members

With all the other shows available for online streaming. That includes primetime and basic cable. With the exception of the occasional F-bomb, there's nothing we've seen on AMC/OLTL that I haven't seen or heard on any 10PM drama, basic cable series or telenovela. That's why I don't understand the freakout. It's not like Brooke has Adam chained to the wall in a gimp mask. (Which I actually have seen on network dramas.)

• Members

No offense, but when people start a sentence with "no offense," they usually follow it up with something offensive. I'm SO disappointed. Have I been SO touchy lately that you would think that I would be offended by you not wanting to "come home" to a blow job, the F bomb, and a pasty white ass?

I kid, I kid.

Anyhow, I think you know the point I was making wasn't that the shows weren't going to be different than before (the creative teams have changed and so has their outlet), but merely that comparing these reboots to actual "soap pilots" is absurd. Loving, Santa Barbara, Sunset Beach, and Generations didn't have the benefit of having characters that the audience had been familiar with for 4 decades AND already know the backstory to.

• Members

Honestly, let's see where they are 6 months from now before proclaiming them to be any better than the network soaps (I personally think they are no better and pretty much on the same level).

NuAMC and NuOLTL are essentially getting a new start (and more prep time for these first batch of episodes/stories than the network soaps), let's see where they are when that all dies down and they're under the pressures of a similar grind to those on the networks.

Again, with just one episode, people were saying they were so much superior to network soaps. You don't think that bit of a hyperbole?

• Members

I guess, I feel soaps fans are always quick to latch on to something and proclaim it to be a superior product when they have very little development to back it up with.

It reminds me of when Luke and Noah hype on this and other boards - before they even debuted as a couple on ATWT a few years ago. We saw how that turned out...

• Members

I think saying they're better than network soaps is less of a general statement on the programs' wholes and more about day-to-day episodes, which is an opinion one can form after just one episode, never mind three or four. Of course, part of it is the novelty of these being "new" shows with new things to discover and experience, but that doesn't diminish the concept that many posters here are no longer interested in the network soaps.

• Members

But in all fairness, you had your mind made up before they ever premiered that you weren't going to watch AMC, you weren't going to like it, and it was going to be horrible because it had nudity and sex and swearing.

If you want to live a life sans sex and swearing, that's obviously your choice, but for the vast majority of us, well, we have sex and we occasionally drop a curse word when we stub a toe or get really upset about something. It happens. I really appreciate that PP is making an attempt to make these characters more realistic.

There have been the occasional curse words dropped when the situation warranted, and yes, there have been more topless characters, but it's not like Opal has been walking around in full frontal nudity dropping the F-bomb in every sentence. I really do not understand all the pearl clutching over the nudity and language on AMC/OLTL.

• Members

Let me put it this way: if AMC (or any soap, for that matter) had been incorporating nudity, foul language and more "adult" sex scenes from the beginning -- like, for example, "NYPD Blue"? -- then I'd have no problems. But when you have a series that's operated 20, 30, even 40 years in a PG-ish environment -- I'm sorry, but it just seems silly and forced to me to have characters I've known for years suddenly drop f-bombs or have sexual encounters, imaginary or not, straight outta Skinimax, whether it's more realistic or not.

That's another reason why I have to let go of this AMC being a continuation of the ABC series and consider it as a brand-new series, even if it's one filled mostly with characters I know already.

• Members

But they're not operating in a PG-ish environment any more. Why should they pretend that they are?

I'm happy to debate individual instances of how these shows handle language/sex but I can't see any reason why a show that can operate by FX rules should make a Nickelodeon program.

Archived