DAYS: November Discussion Thread

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know what could save this ridiculous show, but I know what I'd start with:

• The grieving, widowed Jennifer actually goes batshit insane like her mother, plays the angelic Horton to her friends and family while terrorizing Nicole.
  • Kristen is actually knocked up by Brady and has his kid, scandalizing Marlena and John.
  • Rafe and Hope have an affair, leading to a scandal which ultimately ends in Rafe's violent, violent death in the line of duty.
  • Will is spurned by Sonny for his choices, has an affair with E.J. behind his mother's back, and in order to make everyone pay turns to...Satan. Which would mostly be represented by creepy music, strange mystery men and an omnipresent black fly. Unbeknownst to everyone, the Devil is actually doing deals with an unsuspecting Kristen and others through various human servants (all sure to be played by hot soap vets).

It's at least more interesting than any of this. I never thought I'd advocate bringing back the Devil.

• Members

They should say he did this last year. It would explain the personality rewrites...and acting choices.

I wish they'd have Jennifer's grandmother haunt her, as she haunted Laura. Maybe drive her to suicide. It would give Abby a story. They could even bring Jack back - alive, again - right as she dies, and show him as a mentally scarred single father, trying his best to cope with Abby and JJ.

• Members

Days missed the boat on a mental breakdown twice, once with Abby and once again with jennifer. Given the family history, it would work. Added in the character choices and being so out of char, it really would have worked, and both Mansi and Reeves could pull it off.

I am very much enjoying days right now, basically the entire show. It is a bit on the boring side, but im interested in whats going to happen for the first time in a long time.

The Brady/Kristen dynamic is good. Though id prefer this story be with Eric, ill accept it with Brady because Martsolf finally has a actress for love interest he works well with for the first time on Days! I like him slowly seeing her in a different light and the way it drives Marlena mad and cant wait to see John react when/if they get together. Kristen vs marlena is good. I like Marlena on the edge, kind of losing it, as she should be. Its forcing her to act out of character, and it is causing issues with John - issues Marlena is creating, not Kristen. These are marlenas actions, her choices. kristen isnt forcing her hand.

Sonny/Will i like as a young romantic couple. They are finally together and happy and bam, a baby. Yes its always done with the days on soaps, i know. But i also feel like both of them along with gabi, nick and chad were in need of a story and direction and this provides that. Chad has vowed to ruin gabi's happiness, nick is not here for gays raising a baby, gabi is desperate for love, and it all works. Adding in Sami from the start is great and I can not wait to see all of this plays out. I hope for Sonny busting this secret open at the wedding of Gabi and Nick, honestly. Even if he does it thinking Chad is the father, then Nick outs the whole truth out of spite.

Sami is an interesting character to me again as she moves across the canvas and interactis with family and friends for a change. shes no longer the prop of rafe and ej. The triangle as a whole is working for me actually because they are all so messed up and made so many mistakes. its not clear cut. I do wish Kristen were still her boss instead of EJ tho.

Jennifer/Daniel, i dont care one way or the other. sometimes i watch them, sometimes i skip by them. Same for Kayla/Abe. Hope, why is she still here? Why wasnt she written out with Bo, honestly.

Oh, and Eric/Nicole - i have no idea how i feel yet. But i am interested to see whats going on for now.

• Members

I never, ever want to see Jack again. I am so over this shows obsession with the 80's and supercouples. It has hurt the show so much over the past 15 years, The one time the show truly thrived creatively and in the ratings was when they let that obsession go and told a good story with a mixture of vets and newer characters. Its too bad that was thrown out in favor of supercouples and repeating the past again just because Dena Higley couldnt keep it going,

• Administrator

Brady/Kristen are gross to me because she wanted to be his step-mother. For May/December romances, I'd prefer them if we didn't see their history.

Marlena "being bad" doesn't work for me. Marlena should never be insecure about Kristen. I think we need to see Kristen actively make Marlena go crazy. That "Thank you" and smirk to Marlena was a good start. I think a good way to end a future episode would be finding out that Marlena was right and that Kristen did hire those thugs.

• Members

Unshockingly, i disagree. Kristen/Brady is def gross given she changed his diapers once upon a time, however it just isnt something I think about, and saying that I will also say I like that they have referenced it. Its not like they are lusting after eachother, but kristen is a little unhinged and Brady definantly has mommy issues, so it actually works. Now if they would just play that aspect in the story.

I do not think Marlena is "being bad" at all. She mad a choice that I think many people, herself included, would make. This insane woman from her past who tried to murder her and steal her man has returned and convinced him shes different, more like she was when they first met than when they last saw eachother. She believes Kristen is setting all the run in's up and trying to do the same thing shes done before. Shes tried to reason with John and he had been mostly defensive about her. I like that right now marlena could be totally correct and have kristens card called, but if not it isnt like her view in insane. She has totally justified in her accusations of Kristen. And i like that kristen isnt this evil mastermind driving Marlena insane... yet. The smirk was telling, and it further showed that Marlena is likely in the right.

• Members

I think Marlena's actions have been very normal for the situation she's in. I've appreciated aspects of this story as well as Eric's return and the Gabi/Will baby drama but I agree with everyone else that the show needs a fire lit under it. Everything is just so blah and boring. There's no energy. Where are the stakes? Days is just playing it too safe and predictable. Which surprises me with Tomlin, who lit a fire under OLTL during his run. I do appreciate the character interaction, the attempt at telling cohesive stories (where MarDar faltered) and the interesting returns, but even with them, it was just 'oh, there they are again' zzzzzz lol.

This show always seems to be one wasted opportunity after the other. I understand Corday wanting a safe show, but honestly, you can't play safe at this point. GH is schooling Days right now on what they should be doing. I should be seeing the same stuff on GH on Days. Huge returns with actual stakes, characters that aren't just "good" or "evil" but with some gray (remember grey characters, Days of our Lives?).

I also give them props for what they've shown with Will and Sonny. I was pleasantly surprised at how much PDA they've been allowed to have. I still feel like we're missing beats in their relationship though. I don't feel investment from Will in the relationship. I mean if they were playing it like he WAS neglecting the relationship for various reasons then I'd buy it but usually nothing's explained and then the writers catch on to it and are like 'we totally were going that way' when we all know it's BS.

• Members

The only reason they have done the Will/Sonny relationship is so that Will has to make a choice and has something to lose, for dramatic purposes. It's very transparent. The actors have no chemistry with each other or much of anyone else.

I can't say the show should be like GH, because beyond retro spy drama and comic relief psychos, there isn't a whole lot to emulate (AJ's return is basically just waiting for him to go psycho on Carly). I think DAYS should go back to what made DAYS special. That seems to be a mystery, even though Tomlin and Corday have been with the show for much of their adult lives.

Archived