DAYS: November Discussion Thread

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought they were wise to bring back Jack, even Austin and Carrie for a time, to get away from Rafe and Sami, and make Will's storyline more about his character and history vs. just a gay story bubble that I've seen gay characters pigeonholed in so many times before - he was becoming Sami's worst nightmare. I thought the E.J. and Will thing was fascinating. I really liked Sarah Brown as Madison. There was a lot of stuff. I thought the show took its time and seemed a lot more thought-out, measured, current. They made their shares of mistakes, but I thought it was, for the first time in almost 20 years, a DOOL you could take seriously. And then it wasn't. Tomlin Part 5 or 6 is the same old dreck the audience has become accustomed to. Worse, he's recycling a storyline which was superior when I watched it on OLTL.

• Members

On the one hand, Vee, I agree with you. Will was shaping up to be more fascinating under MarDar. But on the other hand, I'm with Carl when he says that it is impossible to connect with Will as a character on account of CM's lackluster qualities as an actor. Until the show addresses that fact, too, I don't think anything Will does or is involved in will turn out all that well.

• Members

I'm with you Vee, while his smirks from the Rebecca Herbst School Of Acting are annoying, I think he is a perfectly fine and capable young actor. It's probably not saying much, but he is certainly the best among the young adults set.

It was the whole 3 months of constant tantrums that really hurt his character, but I don't solely place all that blame on him, as some others do.

• Members

Beyond a lack of chemistry with Massey and most of his scene partners (unless you count the sex scene with Gabi which was apparently way hotter than it was intended to be), I just see no real purpose in the Will character. MarDar grafted a new personality and a new story onto him. They skated through everything - viewers knowing he was gay, his realizing this, his first kiss with a man, his first social interaction with other gay men, his coming out. Everything took a backseat to Will is the new Sami, because we say so, and oh boy, Will loves/hates EJ, let's tell you about this 500 different times.

Tomlin and Whitesell backtracked to try to show some reactions and struggles about his being gay, and to try to repair the Sonny relationship that MarDar clearly had no interest in, but it just seems too little too late.

I like some of Sami's involvement but the main characters are wallpaper.

• Members

There is no point for any of the younger set, not Chad, not Sonny, not Melanie (when she was here), not Gabi, not Nick, not Abigail, not that Jay Leno guy etc etc.

None of it is mutually exclusive to Will, but at the end of the day he has more of a purpose and point than any of them, and certianly more than half of the adults. The writers have failed to give anyone on this show a purpose outside of Sami, EJ, Daniel, and Nicole. Characters have certainly benefited from being a part of his story, Marlena was given something to do than actually being wallpaper, and when the two of them were together both shined. Outside of who is going inside of Sami, Sami was given something to do. He has chemistry with everyone but his romantic screen partners. Scenes with Will, Sami, Marlena, and Kate have been the highlights of his whole story.

But I don't feel like his character is pointless or lacks purpose. And I don't fell like his outburst and tantrums were a "new personality" or far from the realm of reason, with what he was struggling with. Like every other gay storyline goes that route when the person is struggling, you have your Luke Snyder's or your Brendan Brady's, your John Paul's or your Craig Dean's etc etc. The only problem REALLY with the Will storyline was the absolute dragging of it, the stopping and starting, and then the inclusion of the whole EJ Blackmail, which in the beginning was intriguing...but then dragged on for far too long with no real pay off.

For me the problem has never been "just" Will.

Oh and Sonny still needs to be recasted. Now THAT actor & character is lackluster.

• Members

I will admit I'm not an expert on Will's character or on DAYS, so this is just blather.

I never saw anything in Will's personality which suggested he would start throwing huge tantrums, or endlessly call his mother bitch and whore, or shove her. The basis of all of this never made sense to me - he was upset that she broke up his ideal family, yet he rarely spent time with this family (Rafe and his younger siblings) during or after this crisis. He was upset because he was gay, yet he got over being gay in no time at all, and was even going out to gay bars a few months later. I never understood his relationship with Sami when MarDar took over, because it became about a failed nostalgia trip to Marlena/Sami circa 1993, not the relationship Will and Sami had had. There was no layering. Most of the story felt like a cheap excuse to have big OTT scenes. I also felt like they only cared about EJ/Will, which was basically a huge gay-baiting relationship.

I don't think Sonny needs to be recast, I think he probably just needs to leave, along with most of the other young characters. There's no definition and no energy.

All the younger characters are weakly written and acted, but in terms of history and connections on the show, I would have expected more out of Will or Abby, especially Will, since much of the past year has been spent hyping him as the show's salvation.

• Members

Omg, I feel so bad for Marlena, she is looking so pitiful! But I love Kristen. I feel bad for Mar, but it's good to see her be taken down a notch. AND I really believe Kristen hired the lil girl and the muggers! I don't see her being evil this time around, just conniving and manipulative!

Archived