Y&R: TV Guide interview with Jill Farren Phelps

• Members

NBC brought in Maggie DePriest to Another World because they wanted to meddle and either turn AW into DOOL or get rid of it. JFP did some wonderful things on AW, including the hiring of soap legend Harding Lemay to work with Tom King and Craig Carlson. The first six to nine months were great, ensemble stories, sophisticated. Then, MD was brought in and she wanted to do a stalker plot, because she was too lazy to craft anything for the show, she stole her own DOOL plots. Frankie's death was her idea. Jill's a ball busting producer, but when she had a budget and was left alone (GL and her beginning tenure at AW) she rocked.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Me too! I don't know which I want more though...

I like how she gave non-answers about Rowell and Francis. I do hope Francis is on her way out. She has been given so many chances...

I know nothing about JFP other than this interview and comments I've read about her since she took the EP role at Y&R. I want to be optimistic. I want my last remaining CBS "story" to be good and to be on the air for a long time.

• Members

OT, but I hate that Wendy added the "good" part. Maybe your black would have stayed good if you hadn't snorted your way through your twenties and thirties?ph34r.png

On a similar note, I noticed the other day in the scene with Sonny that the mobster guy has very smooth skin but I wasn't sure if it was just great makeup and lighting.

• Members

About Anna Lee, this poor woman had not to be fired. DAYS kept Frances Reid under contract until her death in February 2010 even if she hadn't appeared after Christmas 2007. This is respect, something JFP has never been capable of, especially with vets.

• Members

Was it Jill who did the Georgie Phillips story on OLTL? I enjoyed that storyline.

Anyway, Jill has cajones and has survived in this business because she knows how to play the game. Just my opinion, but I don't think that Jill decimated the Quartermaines without some direction from on high. And people really do need to get over Maureen Bauer and Frankie Frame. Sometimes soap characters die.

• Members

Yeah, if I were a Y&R diva, I might be a little worried. JFP does tend to tangle with divas....I believe she had issues with bringing Kim Zimmer back to GL,,,,,then there was Beverlee McKinsey.....Strasser....Genie Francis.....am I leaving anyone out? tongue.png

• Members

That might be true for characters such as Frankie Frame, but not for tentpole characters like Maureen Bauer. She was the closest thing GUIDING LIGHT had to a leading matriarch after Bert Bauer, and killing her off was just a rotten thing to do.

• Members

Why should a soap keep an actor who can't even work on contract making alot of money when that money could go towards hiring actors who actually work? Respect my ass, in the entertainment industry you are not guaranteed a job for 6 months most of the time, why should anyone be guaranteed on for life?

• Members

Well, you know, it wasn't as if GH didn't have Alan and Monica there, ready to assume Lila's place as the Q's (and to some extent, Port Charles') moral compass...

Except Alan was killed off sometime afterward; and Monica's practically in cold storage now.

• Members

This interview probably the most energized and overtly optimistic I've sensed from JFP since her early years at GL.

It seemed like from AW onwards, she was just in it for the paycheck and gave every interview with a quick answer and a bitchface.

I do remember a time, at SB and GL, where she always seemed so happy to be at those shows and genuinely proud of the work she was producing. That seemed to go away towards the end of her GL run and never really returned.

Archived