Y&R: TV Guide interview with Jill Farren Phelps

• Members

I think we'll see a lot of cosmetic and story changes to give the show a more contemporary feel, but structurally the show is pretty sound and I don't see that aspect changing all that much. I think the die-hards have to face facts that the Papa Bell days of long pauses, cameras focused on floral arrangements, and psychosexual storylines that go on for years and years and years are over.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At the risk of sounding like a JFP apologist, it could be because she has more autonomy at Y&R than she ever did at all her other shows, SANTA BARBARA and GUIDING LIGHT notwithstanding. What's more, thanks to SB, she has a prior working relationship with Steven Kent that might prove fortuitous (for her, if not for the fans).

• Members

Agreed, if there's one thing I can say about her, is that she tends to "respect" the traditional look of a show (the exception being ANOTHER WORLD), but also enhances it at the same time.

I don't think it's any coincidence that SB, GL, and GH all Emmy's for directing under her reign. She's a very skilled technical producer with great production insights.

I remember when she first came to GH, the camera started to actually move, which didn't happen under Wendy Riche.

• Members

On GH to be honest through her 11 year run I truly believe though it was the one gig of hers that IMO where she became a figurehead. Her first year at GH sucked mainly because she installed Megan McTavish as head writer and McTavish knew nothing of GH and tanked. Then Guza returned and I believe Frons/Shapiro gave Guza the authority on everything and he was a producer. I think Jill's job was to sell Guza's vision and thats what she did. Do I think it was entirely her vision? I don't really believe she had alot of freedom GH. In fact the last few years at GH to me were practically Jill holding onto her job. Honestly I bet even though it sucked to be fired I think she looks back now on it being the best decision. GH was going down to the abyss and near cancellation. Would suck to be an EP who cancelled a legendary show and it was time for new energy. To me in this interview I kind of see a renewed/refreshed JFP. She got to do Hollywood Heights and this is probably refreshing and she is working with Josh. I think we will see more JFP in this then her last years of GH. Every other soap SB, GL, AW, OLTL whether she sucked or was fantastic had her stamp. Did anyone feel Jill's stamp at GH wasn't really there?

• Members

I am so glad to hear that JFP spoke to Jess Walton, though I am dismayed that Jess isn't up to returning full-time and will only appear if a good storyline comes together...but that's selfish of me as a fan of Walton's...she was treated horrendously for the last 8 or so years, she's 63, is a new grandmother, has her mansion in Oregon, sold her house in LA for way more than she paid for it...if she only wants to act if the storyline is good, then dammit, good for her for having the independence and personal power to say so.

I do hope Josh Griffith and JFP can give Jill Abbott something great to do. And I am just horrified that MAB's exit for JILL FOSTER ABBOTT, of all characters, was to take an extended holiday in Australia. What a bad joke and how utterly disrespectful to the character, Bill Bell and Walton herself, a 25 year veteran of this show.

I really liked this interview, JFP sounds excited and she's pretty low bullshit, which excites me. I liked her justification for hiring FOJ's...because it's true, they're almost all wonderful actors.

I also hope Christel hits the road and Genie Francis is sent packing too.

Archived