Overhyped Daytime Soap Actors and Actresses

• Members

I was thinking of him too. He was a very good child actor, emotionally available, charismatic, but he had some little tricks and did some "borrowing" as well that's followed him into adulthood. He once said in an interview that Christian Slater was a big influence on him, and you could definitely hear it in the way he placed his voice in his throat and formed his words. He and the little redhaired boy who used to play Michael both did that "kids trying to sound naturalistic in their line delivery" thing which ironically made it sound like they were trying too hard (moreso the kid playing Michael than JJ). But I cut kid actors some slack, especially the better ones like them.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This statement completely. I've followed GH for years but it's never been my #1 soap and I'm beyond tired of them being pimped out as the best soap cast ever when imo that title went to AMC, or GL

I almost forgot about the incredibly overhyped Lindsay Hartley and I 100% agree with you about the tears part! Being a good crier doesnt make you a great actress because if it does my younger sister needs an emmy because she's a great fake crier

• Members

I also think Hartley is another one that falls more into the popular category more then the she was an amazing performer one. She was seen as amazing because she was the only actress in a sea of hair models on Passions and she made her career off of that. Once that ended she had dead on arrival starts on both Days and AMC. Hartley passes by because she can emote an emotion on screen pretty easy without to much effort and she is warm enough to have romantic chemistry with her male leads. I would say actresses who were overhyped would have been someone like Bree Williamson or Melissa Claire Egan where they were constantly awarded nomination on top of nomination just for their over the top screeching and cartoonish buffoonery as the crazy chicks of their soaps. Compare them to actresses like Susan Haskell and Kate Collins who did the same but exceptionally better then both of them on their home soaps and I think my point has been made.

Craziness alone does not equal good acting.

• Members

I remember feeling something for him when ever he talked about his mother being abused by his step father or when he had his children fighting for their lives back in the early 00's. I also thought he was pretty good with Lily's death and when he was paired with Marcil. There were a lot of times when he first came on as Sonny that I thought he was a pretty good actor. He just got lazy and stopped trying somewhere around 2005.

• Members

She wasnt any better than the sea of hair models. She was just hyped because she was the protagonist and got most of the screentime. Ben Masters, Kim Ulrich, and Juliet Mills were the only actors amoung the hair models to be on the show until the end. She can cry but that's about it which is why she falls under extreme overhype because all I heard in the press from DAYS and AMC was how amazing she was.

• Members

It's diff of opinion. I admit I haven't seen JJ in much outside of GH but hes shown a very limited bag of tricks. He can play dramatic moments but his reaction is always the same and the tears have become crutch. That's the case with most of the soap actors he's just not much better. You contrast that with someone like Debbi Morgan who can play dramatic moments in a multitude of ways and doesn't rely on the same type of reaction for every one. I also think JJ's best acting partner was GF. TG just accentuates the OTT and hamminess at times

• Members

Vanessa Marcil - Daytime star power died long ago, but she still thinks she should be paid more than anyone else while working 1/2 the time. Why she gets a say any story is a mystery to me. I don't care what the writing was like during her last guest appearance, VMG should be able to rise above it. She reeks, and if I cared about GH, I'd never want to see her on it again!

Maurice Benard - Too many pauses, loss of breath. Much too much screaming. I've always thought he was beyond overrated.

Steve Burton - Who said he was good? He was sold by Frons as an action figure only!

Allison Sweeney - Good god! How many years has she had to improve?

Dreck Hogestyn - Like Burton, who said this guy was good?

Alicia Menshew - Let's just hope she's adjusted to being a "stay at home mom" and stays there!

Roger Howarth - Never saw the big deal here. I was horrified to learn TSJ was canned to have THIS back! Roger's hype leaves me scratching my head. He's only good for comic relief.

Kirsten Alderson - One vomit-inducing performance after the next. If I were watching GH, it would have to be rec'd so that I can FF this no talent!

John Paul Levosier - I don't think anyone outside of Frons, Valentini and his boo, Ron saw anything in this guy. The boner the 3 Stooges had for JPL was heartbreaking. Clown was on every day at the detriment of real actors and to keep him relevant, he had a different daddy every 6 months. I know no one is thinking of JPL when talking about great/but overhyped, but this clown got on my last!

Farrah Fath - Not sure what to say here. A Daytime DON'T if I've ever seen one!

I'll think of more later...

ANDREA

• Members

Roger Howarth....unless he is yelling or screaming

Susan Lucci...boy is she overhyped to this day.....she was just dreadful on Dallas and wasnt that great on AMC

Michelle Stafford....been phoning it in for sometime now.

Christian Leblanc.....nuff said

Kimberlin Brown.... her acting became too one note....the only time i truly enjoyed her was on her first run as Shelia...after that she either didnt care or her acting went way over the top

More later when I can think of more...lol

• Members

lol.. people like this need daytime to earn a paycheck. they like many daytime actors would never make it on primetime or movies and thats why they stick to daytime. Any kind of good actor uses daytime as a starting step stool to there career and peace out once the contract is up.

• Members

Susan has been hyped as the Queen of Daytime, as a star with staying power, but I don't think she's been that hyped as an ACTRESS. Her acting skills have been regularly attacked over the years. She got a lot of hype and publicity for losing the Emmy, and the only reason her single win garnered any press outside of the daytime media is because she'd lost so darn many times. As for why she lost so many times, Susan does camp well, and she's fairly good with comedy, but that's not really rewarded on daytime as far as Emmys go.

Archived