Overhyped Daytime Soap Actors and Actresses

• Members

We needed a new version of this thread. I understand why Daytime is mocked constantly when I sit through these people.

Maurice Benard- Not only overhyped by fans by also by his cast. I don't know how many actresses have said he made them the actresses they are today or talked about his fabulous coaching skills. Yeah the only thing this man can teach is how to scream at the top of your lungs and throw barware. And then there's some of the stupid stuff he says in interview. He plays Sonny as Italian since he doesnt know how to play him as Greek. Well since you're the only representive for minorties on GH most of the time(and ABC loves to remind us of this when they try and claim to be diverse), why don't you just play Sonny as Hispanic, you know the culture he was raised as! Or does he not know how to play someone of his own culture either?

Erika Slezak- She's good but she's not great

Julie Marie Berman- I still don't get it. How did she manage to win those two Emmys? I've never seen any performance from her stand out.

Christel Khalil- Her acting coach needs to just tell her she's not an actress, already! I mean taking classes is supposed to make you better, right? She's dull as dishwater and displays the most annoying shrieking ever anytime a scenes calls for emotion. Shrieking is not great acting, it's a lazy soap technique to make it seem like you know what you're doing. Her voice is grating and dreadful.

Kristen Storms- Another one with a grating voice who needs to work on it. Helium Minnie Mouse is not a great actress. She had the potential to get a job in primetime on one of those lame teen dramas that don't require acting skill but she threw it away for GH. I've never seen her "layered" version of Maxie

Lexi Ainsworth- Suffers from a grating voice as well. Let's face it she should've been recast a few months after the crappy abuse storyline. Never saw the amazing skills that made her the best actress of her generation and if I have to hear about how she is Emmy(they always forget to insert the word Daytime) nominated one more time I will scream. She also suffers from trying to pass shrieking off as great acting. See Christel Khalil

Steve Burton- Blink, Blink, Blink

Tony Geary- Too quote a famous unpopular opinion "He gave up acting for Lent back in 2000 and didn't pick it back up when Easter came along"

Kristen Alderson- Only hyped by tptb of her shows. The poster child for why we need to recast characters to transition them from childhood to adulthood.

Vanessa Marcil- Severely overhyped. Her looks helped her severely in the past. She was enver ever great. I at least thought she had charisma though back then. She displayed non of that her last time on GH

Alison Sweeney- NBC has helepd overhype her severely. While the former tptb was catering to her every demand she doesnt even talk about Days of our Lives outside of the show. She's too busy pushing her image of this amazing actress and host. And her acting skills are lacking and I've suffered through her having them write Sami as some kind of hero.

Tyler Christopher- I wouldn't care if he ever came back to GH as he is boring, uninspiring, and sucks the life out of his female costars. But he used to be "hot" in the 90s so people think he can do no wrong and it's not his fault he doesnt engage in scenes. And please he was missing in his scenes long before Emily even died.

Andrea Evans- I felt like Tawny, Rebecca, and Tina were all the same campy, annoying character

Michelle Stafford- So many things wrong with how she plays her scenes

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

99.9% of them lol.

Here's just my opinion...

Deidre Hall

Alison Sweeney

Drake Hogestyn

Kristian Alfonso

Jason Cook

Kirsten Storms

Eric Martsolf

Galen Gering

Maurice Benard

Steve Burton

Vanessa Marcil-Giowhatthehellherlastnameis

Anthony Geary

Susan Lucci

Rebecca Budig

Cameron Mathison

Roger Howarth

Eric Braeden

Katherine Kelly Lang

And many many more.

• Members

All of the GH cast in recent years because they have been pimped as having the best actors on any soap by just about the entire soap press and are all overhyped due to ABCs favorite soap for years. Most of the longer term actors don't put forth an ounce of extra effort anymore.

Vanessa Marcil ( and I love her)

Rebecca Budig

Alicia Minshew

Alison Sweeney (and I like her)

James Scott( and I like him)

Michelle stafford

Billy miller

Melissa Reeves

Roger Howarth

Trevor St. John

Michael Easton

Michael Muhney

Elizabeth Hendrickson

Kirsten Storms on both shows

• Members

I think anytime an actress can cry big fat tears on demand, she tends to be thought of as a "good" actress regardless of what else she can or can't do. Personally, I got sick and tired of watching Chrishell Stause and Lindsay Hartley crying every damn week.

• Members

That's probably because it's a classic soap trope/tool so it's valued if it can be done dramatically. I think most of the actors brought up in this thread are good actors though, probably flagships of their home soaps (Sweeney, Scott, Geary, Stafford and Slezak are the most notable brought up in this thread). Soaps tend to favor dramatic actors in dramatic scenes more then anything else and as such the other kinds of acting aren't seen to be as important to them or as favored to them. For instance comedy and romance aren't as important as the dramatic reveals which I completely get. Drama drives pretty much everything on a soap and it's important to find key players who can build on that.

I also think we have to look at each actor/actress in context as well. If they come from a soap that is notorious for bad acting and they are reasonably good then they will be seen as an awesome performer simply because of what they are surrounded with. Other things to think over - once upon a time Budig, Berman, Miller, St. John and Bernard were all good actors, but they got lazy and became tic-laden performers and stopped caring and that effected their performances. I don't think that diminishes their performances when they were "hot" so to speak. Just a thought for consideration.

I also think there is a difference between a bad actress who just found the right role i.e. Kirsten Storms and also a good actresses who was just miscasted in the wrong role i.e. Lexi Ainsworth.

• Members

I think Pelphrey is great, however, I think if daytime made it its business to hire talented, trained young actors to begin with instead of vapid himbos, he wouldn't have been treated like this otherwordly acting great. Like a lot of trained actors, he did have his little bag of tricks and he definitely borrowed from some of the greats, but he is by no means alone in that, nor should he be criticized for it. It's just that there are a lot of great young actors out there and he really won the soap critic lottery because the industry by its own fault failed to encourage the casting actors first, models second.

• Members

Are any of the Days actors really acclaimed though? They almost always get passed over at the Emmy's and I never see soap publications really parading their performances. Days is also known exclusively for it's super couples more then any sole performer so I wonder how much acclaim/credit actually goes to the actor persay. Mathison is also being brought up a lot, but he only has like two nominations in the supporting field and he lost both. I think there is a difference between popularity and performance. I don't think anyone considers Mathison to be a powerhouse performer. He was just a heavily featured soap star for the public to grab onto, like Kelly Monaco.

He also plays rage incredibly well. I would say he does well with any intense emotion. Which is what soaps want in an actor.

Archived