Overhyped Daytime Soap Actors and Actresses

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That was enough, although I think some soap magazine compared him to James Dean. Although I guess she did Justin Chambers a big career favor.

I just never got what was special about this man, at all. I found him very unpleasant on AW.

• Members

LaZimmer

Beth Chamberlain

Pelphrey

Crystal Chappell

Hunt Block

Martha Byrne

Roger Howarth

Grayson McCouch

Erika Slezak

Kristen Alderson

Eddie Alderson

Melody Thomas Scott

Eric Braeden

Michelle Stafford

CJLB

Rikkart

Muhney

Billy Miller

Sharon Case

• Members

I really hate to point out the obvious, but because this is so true, the bad reputation of being a "soap actor" is just entrenched. I think there would be a much shorter list of those who are worth lauding.

• Members

How could I forget about "Killer Miller"? Remember when he was supposed to be the new Jack Abbott (which apparently means a sad sack who ignores his own children while chasing after others? I guess it fits). Remember when the soap press told us he made any scene better?

Two years of Miller phoning in every scene while racing out the door for pilot season clearly got through.

Like many on Y&R today, he can't actually play a scene with another actor.

• Members

Billy Abbot is a thankless role for any actor. Billy Miller is probably one of my favorite younger leading actors in soaps right along James Scott and Jonathan Jackson, but no one could pay me enough to watch his scenes as Billy Abbott day in and day out. It's just too frustrating to watch. Miller was/is better outside of it.

• Members

I would say she's underappreciated. For an actress so comfortable with every single aspect of her character (bitch, mother, wife, enemy, friend, seductress, victim, etc etc) who gave consistently great performances, without phoning it in, she deserves much more.

It didn't use to be :( David Tom's interpretation was a wonderful portrayal. After that....

• Members

David Tom never astounded me that being said the only thing I really saw from him was his portrayal of Paul Cramer, which to me left tons to be desired if he was supposed to be seen as viable at all.

I feel like a lot of these submissions aren't really over hyped actors and actresses. It feels like this thread is turning into actors/actresses you don't like. laugh.png

• Members

They gave Miller all kinds of dramatic material and he tanked all of it, and also had anti-chemistry with just about every leading lady they gave him (except Sharon Case, and a little with Crystal Kahlil). Even the Bacteria relationship is probably supposed to provide some type of great drama. He just phones it in.

• Members

I remember watching when he first came on and Sheffer just had him sleeping with everything that moved. He just had perpetual one night stands with Chole, Sharon, Lily, Mackenize, etc. and it became tiring because the character was so self destructive. For what it's worth I thought he had great scenes opposite Peter Bergman and he had great scenes with his family concerning Jill, Cane and others. I also think he does good work when he is around his children. But Billy Abbott is a worthless, self destructive mess of a character and that's precisely why I can't watch him. Not even Miller could pull that off and make that work because he is just a constant screw up and that just becomes tiring to watch after awhile because he doesn't learn. That being said I definitely think Miller has sparks when he is "on" even if he is ready to bolt from Y&R as soon as he gets. His scenes with Delia being sick, him losing Lucy and begging Victoria to let him come home were all times I thought he worked well with what he was given. I still think it's the role that is the problem.

It's the same way with a lot of other characters on Y&R as well Adam, Nick and others fit similarly into that same bracket for me which is why I can't watch that soap for too long. Everyone becomes so utterly unlikable.

Archived