Overhyped Daytime Soap Actors and Actresses

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't either. In fact, I would say she is quite underrated, particularly by the soap press, the Emmys (only one nomination, in 2005), and quite frankly, TPTB of OLTL themselves (well, some of them, anyway). And she certainly gave her all to her stories like almost no one else on that show, and was probably that show's biggest cheerleader to the end (and given how her husband was treated by the same show, she probably felt she had to--and it's pretty damn remarkable).

I would also say that Fiona Hutchison is quite underrated (only one Emmy nod herself--in 1994 when she was on GL--had OLTL not had the stigma it got from having wacky storylines in the late 80s, her work as Gabrielle probably would have been recognized more), but this is the wrong thread to say that in wink.png .

• Members

I love her, but Fiona was certainly overexposed on GL along with Deas during the 1994 era or so.

Fiona didn't even have to audition for Jenna, JFP offered the role directly to her (and had her in mind for it).

That said, I thought she did some of her best work there, and though I hated the stuff in the middle with Buzz, I did enjoy her when she first debuted and hated when Rauch grudgingly killed her off.

• Members

You're right. I was mostly thinking of her time at OLTL (where she was seemingly pushed out to "teach a lesson" in 1991, then dumped again in 2004), and that last run at GL, where she was again supposedly fired to teach a lesson.

• Members

Yes KDP is overhyped the amount of emmy noms doesnt necessarily have to do with being overhyped as KA has non. Let's also not act like KDP didn't get her fair share up frontburner airtime on OLTL. Hell she was hyping her damn self on twitter and I heard plenty of hype about her and the rest of the OLTL clan coming over to save GH and raise the ratings not only from fans but the soap press as well(ratings fell those days they were on anyway)

• Members

I don't see how KDP is overhyped. Maybe by her fans but I don't see the soap press or the show ever have shown any love for her and it's not like she gets unwarranted Emmy noms year after year like Stafford does now.

I don't particularly love or hate her but she's watchable when written for but sadly it's been years since she has been. I don't think she was needed on GH. On the surface all she is is a Carly clone. Saying that I'd take Blair over Carly anyday. KDP actually has the ability to be warm and mature on screen something non existent with Laura Wright. But then Todd, McBain are just carbon copies of every boring male drone on GH also.

As for MTS being overhyped by who? Certainly not the show or the Emmys. I wouldn't even say the press has been that kind to her. I think I gained respect for her with this last return. It just seemed to me her mere presence gave the show a huge uplift.

• Members

I like FL but she's always been a shrieker. Somewhere along the line soaps started rewarding screaming as acting. I remember how everyone just gushed over Bree W.'s performance at Nash's funeral so I made a point to look it up on YouTube. All I saw was unfettered, unchecked hysteria and I had to keep bumping down the volume. (My cat was looking at the computer like "WTF are you watching?!") OTOH, I thought BW was very good during the Jess/Tess integration scenes because she showed restraint and genuine emotion. Apparently on soaps, women show emotion by screeching and men show it by mumbling. tongue.png

To the larger point, I guess people need to define what is meant by overhyped. It looks like a lot of us are reading this as overrated because honestly none of these people are hyped. They're soap actors. Nobody really knows who they are outside the bubble.

• Members

I think there are still some who are hyped within that bubble. Daytime Confidential, Branco, SOD, etc. Carolyn Hinsey loved to go on about certain AMC actors. Daytime Confidential loved to go on about "Killer Miller", TSJ, Florencia, JPL and Farah Fath (for a while), Michael Muhney, among others. I still shake my head, even though I know it's silly to be annoyed over something so trivial, when someone like Eden Riegel gets this grand writeup in a soap site item that goes on about "Imaginary Bitches star/co-creator Eden Riegel..." No offense, but did more than about 20 people watch Imaginary Bitches? It's like the whole "Soap Opera Spirit award winner". What is that? Do you cheerlead for glory? In cases like Riegel's, it backfires, because I think MAB and others who were in that hype bubble just hired her in part based on all this hype, without bothering to write any proper role for her. You had Branco praising her about five minutes after her first scenes aired. And all for nothing.

• Members

Yeah there are defintiely people praised with in that bubble like the example of ER that you used. I remember the "tragedy" it was that LA got fired from GH last year. It was on alot of the soap blogs and SID. Not really on the GH Facebook because they cared less. But I heard it was the worst mistake GH every made, a tragic lost, discrimination against petite people as if she was the first teen to ever get fired. You wouldn't have realized she was still a relative newbie. And there is the amazing MB hyped by soap rags and his costars alike. Tony Geary can do no wrong and the Spencer name definitely helps if you want a Daytime Emmy. So yeah it's definitely there in the soap community majority of these people would never get any hype outside of it but yeah there are definitely those who get overhyped for scene chewing on their respective soaps

• Members

The thing is and it's finally been validated. Hype and online noise does not equal popular or good. All it means is that Fangurls of certain actors and characters spend their time on the Internet endlessly hyping and pimping. The last that McBain, Sonny, and Todd hugely promoted all trended on twitter was lauded as some huge accomplishment only to find out the ratings didn't budge in fact dropped with their focus.

Archived